Sign in to follow this  
dgold42

Adding dawn with bleach

I just picked up some dawn to ad to my housewash mix and on the back of the bottle it says "Do not ad bleach". I've been using it for years with my 12.5% SH and have never had a problem.

I could understand if it was a citrus (acidic) based product but it's not.

I'm just curious as to why they would say this on the bottle. I know a lot of people here use dawn in their house wash mix.

By the way I just ordered "Lemonator" from Steve Rowlett and can't wait to try it. He's a great guy and knows his chemicals. If shipping wasn't so high I'd probably buy all my chems from him.

Dan

non bleach stable soaps (most dish liquids) outgas chlorine when mixed with bleach. Inside, this can be very dangerous. Outside in our environment most of the gasses are dissipated w/o incident.

The best thing to do is switch to a bleach stable soap. I think you will find that most pw specific soaps are as cheap and more efficient than Dawn.

Philip

what is a good detergent to be added to my house wash mix? where can I buy it in Florida (the Tampa Bay area)? I have been using SH12% with different degreasers that will go unnamed. Can I mix the SH12% with Purple Power degreaser? Concentrated Blue Dawn?

The whole purpose of adding Dawn is that it is also a degreaser which is a caustic as well.

This agent works at expanding the pH range of reactivity bleach has and makes it more effective on removing stains from siding.

Also, the foaming capabilities are a plus.

But you can get the same results using most other degreasers on the market, just not as much foam.

Rod!~

I just use dawn as a surfactant. I have to add caustic to it in my applications just to raise the ph level, otherwise it's about the same as water.

I don't know anything about roofs though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk