Sign in to follow this  
Xstream Clean

WTW maintenance

Question

We are still a new company and haven't had the opportunity to perform any maintenance for repeat customers yet. What is involved in a maintenance wash on a deck sealed with WTW, say around two years ago? I've read a lot of info in previous posts, but was curious as to what is actually involved? EFC-38 followed by Citralic is what I have so far, but how deep do you actually clean? Is it more of a rinse with the intention of removing dirt and mold, or are you also trying to remove any loose or flaking sealer? I've had a potential customer ask me if we would have to strip the WTW the next time we sealed it, or if we could put another application on top of the old one after cleaning. Just trying to educated myself so I can pass this along to our customers!

Thanks,

4 answers to this question

Is it more of a rinse with the intention of removing dirt and mold, or are you also trying to remove any loose or flaking sealer?

Yes it is what I would call al ight wash. No muscle, let the chems work, should go faster than when you are stripping. WTW doesn't flake (have never seen it) so no you are not removing flaking. You are removing dirt, mildew and algae if there is any.

I've had a potential customer ask me if we would have to strip the WTW the next time we sealed it, or if we could put another application on top of the old one after cleaning.

No, you don't need to strip it. Just clean it as above and give it a maintenance coat.

We have been using Wood Tux since it was released, so this is going to be our 4th year with it. We began using the "wet" formula as soon as it was available. Great product.

Beth

I have two decks to recoat that I did last year. I told the customer I would do them for free because last year I told him they should look good for two years. Originally it was a strip job on two different decks followed by a bath of citralic. They don't look terrible, but they should still look better than they do. In WTW's defense, the 10 gallons I used was part of that "bad batch" that was going around last year. It was super thick and very hard to apply, but it was my first two decks ever so I had no idea. Russell has since sent me a free 5er of some good WTW. I'm glad this thread came up because I wasn't sure about doing a maintenance coat, thanks.

P.S. Hey Russell I might need another 5er to finish both of these decks, how about another freeby to help me out? LOL...