Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

First time deck job

Question

Hi all, from England...

I have been asked to look at a deck cleaning job for a young couple, and I want to do my very best for them. However, it would be my first deck clean...

They have a deck that is, I guess, around four or five years old, and appears to have had none, or little, maintenance. Grey wood, 'shakes' in some places (splintering), and algae too.

I have some oxalic acid crystals, please note.

The owners are seeking advice on not just cleaning it, but also 'finishing' it. They are concerned that any cleaning I do will appear 'mottled', and 'patchy' when done.

Is there anything that you can say that might convince them, AND me that this will not happen? If I do as suggested in some of the threads I have read here, and apply a wide fan of low-ish pressure, I should end up with a nice and even effect?

As for finishing, I really do not expect you guys to endorse products that we have here in the UK, not the suitability of those in the US (HD80etc). Suffice to say, we have 'deck oil', sometimes in various colours. There are a number of things for sale that could be used. Do you generally apply these finishes by sprayer or brush?

These potential customers also have a small section of wooden fence that is quite intricate: an inter-laced trellis, that would be tedious to paint by hand - is it the case that it could be sprayed successfully?

Like I said, I don't expect to have The Answer to all my queries, but any observations may well be very useful to this first-timer.

My machine is about 4gpm (13 litres), and goes to 200 BAR (3000 psi), but I am anticipating turning it right down as far as possible to no damage the wood.

Sorry, I do not know what wood it is, except to say that it is a commercially available hardwood that is desgined for decking.

Many thanks,

Tim, UK, England etc.

4 answers to this question

I would say being that the deck has not had a previous finish applied to it the past.The easiest chemical to clean the deck with would be a bleach and soap mixture to clean.Letting it dwell keeping it wet then p/wash lightly.

Since you are saying you will apply and oil base stain it will keep the deck from drying out and cracking more than it already is.

The bleaching will keep the deck from having a blotchy look that you are trying to avoid.

You can apply the oil base stain by spray or rolled ,brush etc.

Seymour,

I do a have bleach here, rated around 14-15%... what ratio of dilution for this? 50-50? Or weaker?

Assuming that I can't undo the strength once applied, but could go over again.

I could apply by spray and low pressure rinse off.

Tim

Tim

You could even try a weaker solution like 25% mix and see how it reacts on the wood and adjust accordingly.

It all depends how dirty the wood is but you could apply a weaker solution a second time after you remove the top layer of grey,mildew etc.

Some people will say to use Oxalic after but i've tried both ways and didn't see any difference.You do have to watch spraying oxalic after bleach cause they don't mix to well together and will give off a NASTY gas smell!

Hope this helps..:cool:

Seymour, you just reminded me of the warnings I have read about acid and bleach (sodium hyperchlorite). Thank you.

Well, I will put this to the happy couple - I just don't want to wreck their investment. I'm sure it will come up real;ly well, but I think that they want to apply their own finishes to the bare wood, as I don't think they would entertain the price of me applying the said finishes.

Such as it is here... some peeople are happy only for you do the clean but think they can save cash by 'doing it themselves'. I'm pretty sure I can do a great job, as I have done on my own teak garden furniture.

Thank again,

Tim