Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Ipe and Mahongany

Question

I've done some searching but haven't really found what I'm looking for. Can somebody stear me to a reference or post a simple 1-2-3 for cleaning and sealing hardwoods such as Ipe, Mahogany, etc. I know they are tight grained and don't absorb product like the soft woods.

Gracias

Note to self......Use spell check on thread title.:lgbonk:

2 answers to this question

Boy that is a nest egg in itself!

There are some variables to consider when working on any wood and Ipe' is no exception to the rule.

Ipe', Teak, Mahogany are common in outdoor structures and furniture and are generally cleaned with a Sodium Hydroxide based cleaner or stripper strength if necessary then followed by a Neutralizer (Oxalic or Citric acid based) to bring back the natural color. Care should be exercised when working with extractive rich woods like Ipe and Mahogany because the process if not monitored can cause excessive extractive bleeding leaving the wood looking dull and lightly colored.

The finish should be a very thin product that can penetrate into the wood substructure and moisturize as well as provide some UV protection to prevent graying of the wood fibers.

There are a few products on the market that other pro's use on hardwoods: Messmers, Cabot Australian Timber Oil, TWP, Ready Seal, Danish Oil, Penofin and Sikkens. There are varied results over the past year or so due to VOC formula changes which in some products have produced some undesirable results while others have not performed well at all.

It is in best hopes that others will share what their experiences have been and how the obtain them for the benefit of their trade.

One thing is for certain though, 1 year seems to be the threshold of duration for any product used on any of these hardwoods, so in that case maintenance should be recommended on an annual basis as a result. Factors affecting duration are UV exposure and weather. Protected structures such as screened porches and other enclosures help to extend the finishes durability.

I hope this helps in getting you started in the right direction for working with these exotic wood species.

Rod!~