Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

Shurflo

Once upon a time, I earned a living engineering and servicing motor controls. I'd like to make a couple 'improvements' to the operation of the 1.8 gpm model that I'm using.

Is there anyone out there that has something to offer on this?

Bill

Pete,

I want to slow the flow, change the on/off set-point, and maybe add an accumulator. I see that Shurflo sells an accumulator. Well, maybe a Shurflo distributor that I surfed accross does.

The motor is dc. Reducing the voltage will slow it down. I can do that with a power resistor, rheostat, or dc drive. The current sensing on/off switch is something to deal with.

Somebody is doing this for some application. The carpet cleaners are using these pumpmotors also.

I would rather not invest my time in money in something that somebody else is already doing and would share with me. I do however enjoy building a solution to a problem.

Bill

Russ,Thanks, hadn't even looked at that. But I think lowering the off set-point will increase cycling, which is another condition that I'd like to eliminate. Not much PW experience here. I've used the soap tip for my 4gpm pump to spray stain. If I lowered the pressure set-point and increased the orfice of the tip, would I get more volumm, a smaller 'cone' of material, and less cycling? Doesn't sound right but I'll leave it out here for comment.BTW, the link to your equipment website redirects to a website marketing outfit.Bill

Bill,

Are you looking for something to tinker with (I can understand that, I'm the same way) or is there a specific application you have in mind? The on/off adjustment on mine is a small allen screw on the top. Why the accumulator? I suppose you could always use a rheostat, larger spray orafice, and adjust the pressure switch to be able to lower the pressure and flow if you want. Give you a bit more flexibility by mixing up components and settings of the system. Slowing down the pump cycles might give you an unwanted pulsing effect at the nozzle. But then again, maybe not. I haven't messed with mine in that way.

Pete,

I used my 1.8 Shurflo to apply stain. The pump supplied more than the tip/hose could dispense leading to cycling. And the tip dispensed a bit more than I would like for a deck. It was OK for the fence where I could move.

In the old days I had access to components I could plug in and try, not anymore.

Bill

It sounds like if you find a tip that suits your needs then adjust the pressure switch adjustment screw to take care of any excessive cycling you may have (it can take several turns), then that might be a soulution to your issue. Then again, you could buy a smaller voulme sure flow and be done with it.

RC.....sounds like a good idea if it was a simple procedure, Id like to tinker with my 2 shurflos too, and I did mess with the adjustment too much and screwed up the pressure switch....(shurflo replaced for free)

with sealer, I like and use the gun from sunbrite supply, it has a dial to adjust the flow.....works well (I have 2 of them, one I leave with an extension wand attached, about 16 inches)