Sign in to follow this  
Littlefield

First official post from my mobile office!

Question

Just testing out my new laptop stand from my truck out in front of a local Wi-fi outlet that makes great sandwiches.

I have QB Pro Contractor loaded and running, and am working on downloading email as well.

Job costing is done onsite and immediately as reciepts are called in or inputted directly by me as I make purchases.

Spring is here, lets get it goin'!!

2 answers to this question

Pic's please! This has been a todo item for me for years and logistics/layout has been the holdup. If you've got it working, I'd love to steal your efforts.

You should download "Net Stumbler" and use it when you drive. You will be amazed at the number of open wifi spots that there are around you. Take my small neighborhood for example. 32 homes and 3 identifed wifi hot spots. All unsecure. In one trip through downtown Atlanta I found nearly a hundred in a 2 mile stretch.

Why so many? Mostly lazyness or ignorance. But also because all the encryption algos slow communications. Despite years in data security, I secure my home network devices but not my wifi. I know that sounds odd, but while I am concerned about my neighbor Mr. Jones browsing into my file spaces, I am not at all concerned about someone parking a van in front of my house and stealing bandwidth or capturing my packets and reassembling my data. It's just not a real threat (or a very inconspicuous one).