Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Moisture Meter

Question

A few questions.

1) What type of moisture meter should I get for testing wood and where can I get one?

2) Until I get one, what is the best way to tell whether a deck is dry enough for new stain after I've stripped it? Do I just use the 36-48 hours dry/sunny weather standard?

3) Whatever happened to my youthful innocence? :(

9 answers to this question

I was able to get a meter from northern supply. They are available at any serious wood working store. I use mine for drying lumber, never used it to test a deck before staining. I wouldnt even know what the percent should be. I would stick with the standard sunny days. As far as innocence, I think we all lost it the first time we rented our bodies and labor so others didnt have to.

A few questions.

1) What type of moisture meter should I get for testing wood and where can I get one?

2) Until I get one, what is the best way to tell whether a deck is dry enough for new stain after I've stripped it? Do I just use the 36-48 hours dry/sunny weather standard?

3) Whatever happened to my youthful innocence? :(

lean down and kiss the deck and see how wet it is..;)

I've never used a mosture meter ever!

The problem with the 2-3 day standard is rainy periods. You may be able to get one done, but might be using too conservative a time frame, depending on wind and humidity. Some decks will be ready in less time...some more.

Go to Ebay and search for "moisture meter," and you'll find a variety. I look for under 15% moisture, 10.5% being ideal.

Bone dry may be easier to tell, but I think the moisture meter is just for keeping honest people honest. I use my J-Lite all the time. Seems that the touch and feel thing seems more car salesmeny than actually KNOWING how wet the wood is. Also, some of us use more than one stain, and need to know for instance if the wood is at 12, 18, or 26 percent moisture before application. Anyone care for a kiss off to determine that?

I got a moisture meter last year to test wood - and it just confirmed what I already knew. When the wood seems dry - it probably is.

-plainpainter

That's why you may wait too long to stain a deck that is actually ready. I can tell when a deck is dry, but I can't tell when it's just barely dry enough. With a meter, you don't have to wait an extra day just to be sure.