Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

Caustic soda

Hi all,

Been looking into what sodium hydroxide means to you... and found that it is the main part of what we call 'caustic soda'.

Does/is caustic soda ring a bell in the US?

Tim

Hi all,

Been looking into what sodium hydroxide means to you... and found that it is the main part of what we call 'caustic soda'.

Does/is caustic soda ring a bell in the US?

Tim

that is what it is called here in u.s. too, it is also called "lye".

Since many stains are oil based, the sodium hydroxide will act as a high powered degreaser, and emulsify the stain, breaking it and its adhesion down. Low pressure water will then remove all the stain.

Start looking at ingredient labels, and you will find Sodium Hydroxide in all kinds of things.

I use it every night to clean kitchen hoods. It cuts the grease like nothing else. Just don't get it on you...burns like a sucker.

I have a scarred over hole in the top of my right foot the size of a 50 cent piece.

When I worked for a restaurant supply company a bottle of concentrated liquid Sodium Hydroxide fell out of my van and broke and a drop splattered and landed on my sock. The weird thing is that it *didn't* hurt. It itched a little, but I assumed that it was the poison ivy I had on my leg bothering me.

When I got home that night and got in the shower, "Big surprise! You have a hole in your foot!"

:lgbugeyes

It turned the skin to leather and took out quite a divot.