Sign in to follow this  
grizzley

General pump

I have a Hydrotek SC washer with a General (aftermarket) pump. The pump is a TS1511.

I hooked up a pressure guage to the pump the other day and noticed it was only putting out 2200 PSI, and I THOUGHT it was rated at 3500 PSI.

Is there an adjustment on these pumps? Or is it plugged up? Or something else?

Many things it could be. The easiest and fairly common is a worn nozzle. Despite being Stainless Steel, they do wear out.

You could also be sucking air on the intake side, have a worn unloader, worn packing on the pump, or a leaky hose reel swivel.

Is your machine running at optimum rpm, and have you ever adjusted the unloader to lower pressure?

Thanks for the reply. I will try some new nozzles and see if that helps. The surface cleaner is new, with new nozzles but it shows about the same pressure.

I don't see any leaks anywhere and if it is sucking air on the intake side, I don't hear it or notice it. I think that connection is pretty tight with a brand new o-ring.

I have never adjusted the unloader. This is a new pump (about 6 months old).

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new set of nozzles do the trick.

Well, I tried new nozzles and that didn't seem to work.

I guess next I will replace the unloader and hopefully that will fix it. I have noticed lately that when I squeeze the trigger it takes a extra second or two to get pressure at the tip.... I am not sure, but that might be a sign of a worn unloader?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good unloader for this pump?

Does your bypass go back to the tank or back to the pump? If it goes to the tank, then look in there while squeezing the trigger and see if water is coming in. If it is to the pump, pinch the bypass line with pliers and see if that raises the pressure.

You need to do a pump head pressure check. Disconnect all accessories from the high pressure outlet of the pump and put on a small section of hose, no more than 50 feet.

Attach the gun and gauge with a new or nearly new nozzle and put a zip tie to keep the gun open.

Hold on tight, and start the machine to do the pressure check. If you do not use the zip tie, DO NOT LET GO OF THE TRIGGER while the machine is running or until the engine completely stops after turning it off. If you do, you will blow the hose or worse, the pump head, since their is no unloader to bypass.

If the pressure is still low, you probably need new packings.

....and if the pressure is good, it is the unloader that is bad.

I'll try to do that test tomorrow!

By the way, do you have a suggestion on a new unloader? I'm obviously hoping that it's only the unloader.

....and if the pressure is good, it is the unloader that is bad.

I'll try to do that test tomorrow!

By the way, do you have a suggestion on a new unloader? I'm obviously hoping that it's only the unloader.

If you do a pump head check and the pressure is correct, then it is most likely the unloader. Could also be the coil is scaled.

Remember to make sure that trigger gun stays open on the pump head check.

Do the pump head check, and if all is okay, then do another check just after the unloader. If that is fine as well, then you would need to descale the coil. If that check is lower, then it is the unloader.

I use a ZK1 flow type unloader and am really happy with them. I used to use the K-7, but they fail so often, I had to find something else.