Sign in to follow this  
sflasealcoating

Help... Deck/railing wood clean and seal

Question

Hey,

Well Somehow i got myself into doing a wood deck and some railing.... the job is Monday 2500 sq ft of pavers and the lady wants her wood deck cleaned and stained as well.... We do pavers and concrete never wood nor do i plan on it in the future lol.... I know ive cleaned 50/50 bleach dawn blend for fence.worked very well....but never sealed

I know theres lots of diff companies on here where you buy your stains ect..i dont have that kinda of time ... theres a local supplier i get sealer from that ill grab some #1 What should i look for when getting the stain.r there many diff kinds?....is it just like a concrete sealer?? #2 Can i use a surface cleaner over the deck ??? #3 how should i apply the stain roller, brush, sprayer??? If someone could gimme the quick lowdown it would be MUCH appriciated.

Thank you,

Cody

9 answers to this question

1) Semi transparent, penetrating oil. Go to a paint store (not home depot or lowes) and look for products like Cabot's, Sikkens SRD, Deckscapes, Cabots, etc.

2) If you nozzle correctly, I guess you could. I think it's a waste of time getting it set up on a deck but if you already have it out for the flawork, you can try it.

3) Sprayer with one of your guys following you and backbrushing the selaer in. This creates uniform coverage and gives you a quick idea if you have applied enough. Keep an eye on knots, especially on cedar, they are like black holes that suck up sealer and leave white wood showing as sealer cures.

You're in for a treat. Estimate your time higher than you think it will really take. Unless this is a splash and spray job, deck work is labor intensive.

1) Semi transparent, penetrating oil. Go to a paint store (not home depot or lowes) and look for products like Cabot's, Sikkens SRD, Deckscapes, Cabots, etc.

2) If you nozzle correctly, I guess you could. I think it's a waste of time getting it set up on a deck but if you already have it out for the flawork, you can try it.

3) Sprayer with one of your guys following you and backbrushing the selaer in. This creates uniform coverage and gives you a quick idea if you have applied enough. Keep an eye on knots, especially on cedar, they are like black holes that suck up sealer and leave white wood showing as sealer cures.

You're in for a treat. Estimate your time higher than you think it will really take. Unless this is a splash and spray job, deck work is labor intensive.

Very helpful, thank you,

Are most stains thin enough to spray through pump sprayer?

Cody, also watch your moisture content with an oil selaer. Wood should be 15% or lower. Most stains are thin enough for use with a pump up. I recommend getting yourself a Wagner Control HVLP Sprayer from Home Depot. 75 bucks and you will thank me when you aren't walking around pumping up a sprayer over and over and splashing overspray on everything.

Cody, also watch your moisture content with an oil selaer. Wood should be 15% or lower. Most stains are thin enough for use with a pump up. I recommend getting yourself a Wagner Control HVLP Sprayer from Home Depot. 75 bucks and you will thank me when you aren't walking around pumping up a sprayer over and over and splashing overspray on everything.

15%...i would assume down here in floridas 90 degree weather..i would think 2 days should be aneough drying time ....thanks for all the great info :)

Hey Ken, do those Wagner Control HVLP Sprayer's just have a 3/8" hose that you drop in your 5 gal of stain for spraying? New to this as well, curious!

Thanks!

WEll i belive i mis-worded my statement.... The homehowner just wants the deck sealed...i cleaned it today came out good.. Sealer is just what polyurithain? spelling sorry. Im assuming a stain is different then a sealer??? And is a sealer a lil easier to apply ince its a thinner product?

Never apply any type or urethane to a deck. It will peel 100% of the time. Sealer is the only product you ever use on a deck. If the cusotmer wants color you get a tinted one. Interior wood and exterior wood get different treatments. What the customer wants is a clear sealer. Let him/her know that a clear sealer will let the deck go gray in as little as six months. Then you have to strip the selaer to remove the grey. Look for a product called Clear Solutions from Cabot's or Deckscapes toners. Thjey have very little pigment and allow the grain to show through nicely while protevting the deck from UV for a year.

Everyone asks me for clear and I talk everyone out of it and 100% of my customers marvel at how wonderful their decks look.

Exterior products for decks are stain/sealer in one. Stay away from something that is just trying to get water to bead up, IE Thomsons Water Seal. As Ken says, go for Cabot clear solutions, they have some with a little tint, but really, feel them out about more tint, a year later, they are never disappointed.

By the way, for verticals, including spindle/railing assemblies, and siding, it is possible to get several different water based and oil based stain coat, clear coat systems.

Weatherall, Permachink, and Sashco, all make stain / clear systems that hold up well.