Sign in to follow this  
dthomson

Chalking on vinyl siding

Question

I am new to the pressure washing business and have run into the following situation quite a bit. After completing a job I have noticed a white chalky residue left on the vinyl siding. This mainly occurs on the side exposed to the sun. I am using a 13hp 4gpm machine. I have tried a number of chemicals but nothing I have tried seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Try prewetting side before appling housewash mix and rinse heavily. If it is after you clean then it is from the bleach not being rinsed off enough. If the chalking is on the siding before you wash, then it is aged siding from sun exposer.

Anyone seen that new flood Restora product that is used to give siding that sheen again?

I did, but Im not wiping an entire house :) Ill stick with the wet wax from RPC.

as far as the question, are you seeing the white on the windows too? for me, after I think Ive rinsed enough, I rinse more......could be soap, are you using powder (mix on site) house wash chems?

Mike, I have been using Krud Kutter with bleach, any other suggestion on what to use. Thanks

sorry bud, I know nothing about krud cutter? I use citraclean from RPC for my house wash mix, I was just wondering if your using a powder, maybe its not dissolving completly......

say hello to new england for me....NH, "live free or die"...gotta love it, every plate in the USA should have the NH motto....(I was born and raised in CT)

D,

you need to rinse really heavy after chems. If you desire the sheen after effect you can mix liquid carnuba wax 4oz. to each gallon and treat the house ( for an additional charge ). Stay away from the windows with this stuff. It air dries and the elements bounce off of it for a few good months or so.

As I said I am new to the business, what else do you put in your mixture?

Nice to hear from another New Englander, where are you now?

Im in Chicago now.....

my house wash is (usually) about 3/4 to a gallon of citraclean, a gallon of chlorine, if I want a little more suds Ill shoot a squirt of dawn in there, couple oz's of rinse aid (maybe) and I have the wet wax from RPC also, which is another maybe from time to time....top it with water and M5 XJet it.......

Flood has a new pro grade Restora cleaner that does not require you to scrub the house. It can be applied through a chemical injector and removed with the pressure washer. It will remove all of the chalk and oxidation. I agree that you need to pre-wet.

DTHOMPSON - Brushing is the best way to remove oxidation. Home Depot stuff is for do it yourself home owners - not contractors. Contractors should use contractor grade products. There are plenty of vendors on this board that can help you.

There are some products that will remove most or all of the oxidation without brushing. I just don't think you will find them at Home Depot.

Im in Chicago now.....

my house wash is (usually) about 3/4 to a gallon of citraclean, a gallon of chlorine, if I want a little more suds Ill shoot a squirt of dawn in there, couple oz's of rinse aid (maybe) and I have the wet wax from RPC also, which is another maybe from time to time....top it with water and M5 XJet it.......

Btw, Michael,

I thought I'd add in that RPC has a foamer as well that you could use. I use the same mixture as you mentioned above, however I use RPC foamer instead of dawn. Just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware.

John Werling

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

I know about the foamer, its just that I have a big ole jug of dawn for a squirt which goes in the mix when cleaning wood too....so, since its on the trailer, I toss in a squirt for the house wash too....