Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

bug coccoon

Question

Hello Everyone, I have a customer that has a lot of either worm or bug coccoons all over their home. I have run into this before and the Housewash mix does not help get these off the house. The house is stucco so you cannot use too much pressure. The last time I removed some of these, it took a lot of pressure and I still did not get them all off of the building. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions? Thanks for any help.

8 answers to this question

I come across these all the time, and on stucco too boot. I haven't found a chemical yet that will emulsify these buggers. The best thing I found for handling them is to wash the house as normal, and know matter how temping to bare down on them, just pass leave them behind. Then when you've finished the house, go back to where you started (by this time it should be somewhat dry) use a toilet brush mounted on an extension pole and just turn it against the cocoons and it will pull them right off. Repeat process around the rest of the house.

It sounds like it will take a long time, but it actually goes pretty fast when you get good at. I'm guessing were talking about the same brown cottony/thread like balls that when sprayed with water, tend to just move around and stick to the rough edges of surfaces like stucco or brick.

Yes it is them. Some are small and some are large. Light brown, Dark brown and brownish-yellow. I tried the house wash mix and it did not make it any easier to get them off. Hot water did not help any more. There has to be something that will not take the paint off the building. I will get some brushes and use my extension poles. I guess I will try your method, wash first then go back and use a brush. Thanks.

Try applying housewash(with sodium hypochlorite) Rinse as usual then apply mix again to the cocoons, let it dwell alittle, rinse again. If you can get the proper angle(from the side) sometimes you can chisel them off. No real high pressure needed. Try a narrower fan like a 15 degree.

powerkleenTry to put the chems on it that area good and strong. I wash a local bank that has the dry-vit around the top of the building and they leave the lights on at night, plus being beside the river doesnt help.

The bugs may be worse where you are but I can wash and do no good....I apply 12.5% sodium hypochlorite with the x-jet (no orrifice) or if I run out I will use just store bought bleach.

powerkleen

http://www.sugartreekennels.com/powerkleen

This is not the worst part of the building but a good before and after that I somewhat merged for your viewing.

Try applying housewash(with sodium hypochlorite) Rinse as usual then apply mix again to the cocoons, let it dwell alittle, rinse again. If you can get the proper angle(from the side) sometimes you can chisel them off. No real high pressure needed. Try a narrower fan like a 15 degree.
For anyone else needing help with this, I did a stucco house on a lake today and the soffits and eves were loaded with cocoons and webs. Soaping one side,rinsing the windows then soaping the cocoons again and letting it dwell for a few minutes worked like a charm. To test the double soaping's effectiveness I tried one section with just one normal soaping and it wasn't nearly as effective. Give it a shot. I was downstreaming.

When I scub the gutters with the extention pole and brush, I look for bug nests, cocoons, hives, etc. and scrub them a bit with the same solution and so far they come right off. No real extra time involved.