Sign in to follow this  
TalcottPressureWashing

new guy with ??

Question

Hi all I'm new to this and trying to learn as much as possible from reading other people's posts and learning from your experiences.

I guess i should state that my main focus is going to be residental house and driveway cleaning with possible expansion into comercial if it comes my way

This is a parttime operation for me as well

I'm using a 2500psi 2.5 gpm machine. I realize that i need to upgrade this unit as soon as possible.

My first question is the recomendations that I am getting is a min of 3500 psi and 3.5 gpm

Also i realize that i need a ext so i can wash dormers and 2nd stories with out needing a ladder(or as little ladder use as possible) would 6-24 feet be enough or should i look into a longer one?

most sites seem to recomend a dual turbo nozzle as well. is this needed and what type or area's would you NOT want to use this on. and would this possibly be a good thing to use for driveways?

As far as surface cleaners go would a water broom (i think that is the right name) bar with 3-4 nozzles be okay to start out with for cleaning driveways and sidewalks or should i go ahead and invest the extra money in to a true surface cleaner.

my dilema is that i'm trying to be able to do the job properly and would like to be able to not have to run out and replace everything as soon as i get a bigger machine.

I did a friends house lastweekend smaller 3 bed 2 bath and driveway and sidewalk to about 5-6 hours

Thanks in advance for your replies

9 answers to this question

If you do a search on the above mentioned questions you'll find the answers. But to answer a few: Don't buy a waterbroom. It won't clean concrete. Get at least 4gpm. Really search this board for answers to cleaning up high. I'm not being rude just letting you know that commercial work will not "come your way". Learn as much as you can from these boards, put it to use on each job and your confidence and skills will grow. Good luck

Hi all I'm new to this and trying to learn as much as possible from reading other people's posts and learning from your experiences.

I guess i should state that my main focus is going to be residental house and driveway cleaning with possible expansion into comercial if it comes my way

This is a parttime operation for me as well

I'm using a 2500psi 2.5 gpm machine. I realize that i need to upgrade this unit as soon as possible.

My first question is the recomendations that I am getting is a min of 3500 psi and 3.5 gpm

Also i realize that i need a ext so i can wash dormers and 2nd stories with out needing a ladder(or as little ladder use as possible) would 6-24 feet be enough or should i look into a longer one?

most sites seem to recomend a dual turbo nozzle as well. is this needed and what type or area's would you NOT want to use this on. and would this possibly be a good thing to use for driveways?

As far as surface cleaners go would a water broom (i think that is the right name) bar with 3-4 nozzles be okay to start out with for cleaning driveways and sidewalks or should i go ahead and invest the extra money in to a true surface cleaner.

my dilema is that i'm trying to be able to do the job properly and would like to be able to not have to run out and replace everything as soon as i get a bigger machine.

I did a friends house lastweekend smaller 3 bed 2 bath and driveway and sidewalk to about 5-6 hours

Thanks in advance for your replies

Lyn,

I'd recommend riding along with one of the guys here in Atlanta. I'm a part timer myself, but you've got myself (Fayette), Philip Dolittle (Fayette) , Cujo Cooley (Covington) and I'm sure several others. You're more than welcome to come with me for a day on the weekend or I'm sure Philip or Cujo would have you along on the weekday. By riding along at least you will see what equipment we use and then be able to make some judgements before you spend the money.

John Werling

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

678-817-0868

Welcome aboard Lyn!!

Use the search buttons!!

Get at least a 4 gpm washer.

I think the 6-24' pole would be good for an extension wand. Much higher lil people like me can't run them. haha!! No it does get heavy tho.

most sites seem to recomend a dual turbo nozzle as well.

I'm not even sure what you mean here. Don't use the turbo on wood for sure not decks!!

Don't get a water boom as was mentioned already!! You would be just as far ahead to do it with just your wand as to use one of them!!

Hopes this helps a lil.

Lyn,

I'd recommend riding along with one of the guys here in Atlanta. I'm a part timer myself, but you've got myself (Fayette), Philip Dolittle (Fayette) , Cujo Cooley (Covington) and I'm sure several others. You're more than welcome to come with me for a day on the weekend or I'm sure Philip or Cujo would have you along on the weekday. By riding along at least you will see what equipment we use and then be able to make some judgements before you spend the money.

John Werling

Fayetteville, GA

678-817-0868

Man don't miss this opportunity, that is worth money!!:cool::groovy:

If you do a search on the above mentioned questions you'll find the answers. But to answer a few: Don't buy a waterbroom. It won't clean concrete. Get at least 4gpm. Really search this board for answers to cleaning up high. I'm not being rude just letting you know that commercial work will not "come your way". Learn as much as you can from these boards, put it to use on each job and your confidence and skills will grow. Good luck

Dan thanks for your reply i guess i should clarify my comment about the commercial aspect . i want to hone my skills on the residental side and then use some of the contacts that i make and that my wife already has as a small business owner to possibly expand some on the comercial side.

1 more quick question most of the accesories seem to be rated for psi would there be any problems if i bought accesories that were rated for a higher psi machine and used them on mine? that way when i did upgrade units i wouldn't have to completly have to immediatly upgrade all my accesories that i bought.

Welcome aboard Lyn!!

Use the search buttons!!

Get at least a 4 gpm washer.

I think the 6-24' pole would be good for an extension wand. Much higher lil people like me can't run them. haha!! No it does get heavy tho.

I'm not even sure what you mean here. Don't use the turbo on wood for sure not decks!!

Don't get a water boom as was mentioned already!! You would be just as far ahead to do it with just your wand as to use one of them!!

Hopes this helps a lil.

The dual turbo nozzle that i saw has 2 turbo nozzles attached to a wand

Lyn,

John Werling

Fayetteville, GA

678-817-0868

John I would love to take you up on your offer of the ride along my cell is 678-410-8804 if you have something going this saturday maybe we could hook up thanks again

1 more quick question most of the accesories seem to be rated for psi would there be any problems if i bought accesories that were rated for a higher psi machine and used them on mine? that way when i did upgrade units i wouldn't have to completly have to immediatly upgrade all my accesories that i bought.

Yes. But learn to read a nozzle chart and take some time to understand how volume, orifice size, and pressure are related. In most cases, sizing items for a certain psi is a way of dumbing down the decision process for average consumers. The reality of the situation is that most accesories should be purchased based on your machines volume.

For example: A 2.5gpm/3500 psi machine, a 4.0/3500, and a 5.5/3500 machine will all operate *very* differently and require totally different accessories. On the other hand a 5.5/3500 and a 5.5/2500 will use the same accessories and for most purposes will operate identically.

John I would love to take you up on your offer of the ride along my cell is 678-410-8804 if you have something going this saturday maybe we could hook up thanks again

if john or cujo doesent have anything going for sat i do, if you can drive to villa rica it will be worth it for house wash training. anything else you want to discuss i can help. if you are interested call me tommorrow afternoon. job starts at 1pm will take approx 2 hrs.