Sign in to follow this  
andrew hartigan

pricing help (florida residential)

Question

We are just starting out in the powercleaning field and I have done alot of research(books and online) as well as done a couple jobs for friends etc. I have come to the conclusion that:

a.) first of all I dont want to list my prices in advertisements(will lose phone calls)

b.) housewash 10-15 cents sq ft(depending on material and 1st or 2nd story)

c.) driveways (flatwork)10 cents sq ft

d.) roofs 13-15 cents sq ft

e.) deck cleaning and refinishing (not sure yet)

f.)windows(not sure yet)

do these prices sound about right???

I want to sound professional when i do a bid and at least want a baseline for what I charge

do most people charge for chemicals and setup etc or is that usually all included?

I know this is alot but i just want to be competitive, our selling point will be quality of work and excellent personal customer service so i want to be right in the middle of the pack pricewise

thanks for any feedback

andy

ps do most of you offer window cleaning as an add on????

seems like it would be an easy thing to do and could make you some good $$$$

6 answers to this question

We are just starting out in the powercleaning field and I have done alot of research(books and online) as well as done a couple jobs for friends etc. I have come to the conclusion that:

a.) first of all I dont want to list my prices in advertisements(will lose phone calls)

b.) housewash 10-15 cents sq ft(depending on material and 1st or 2nd story)

c.) driveways (flatwork)10 cents sq ft

d.) roofs 13-15 cents sq ft

e.) deck cleaning and refinishing (not sure yet)

f.)windows(not sure yet)

do these prices sound about right???

I want to sound professional when i do a bid and at least want a baseline for what I charge

do most people charge for chemicals and setup etc or is that usually all included?

I know this is alot but i just want to be competitive, our selling point will be quality of work and excellent personal customer service so i want to be right in the middle of the pack pricewise

thanks for any feedback

andy

ps do most of you offer window cleaning as an add on????

seems like it would be an easy thing to do and could make you some good $$$$

a) good idea, prices change anyway

b) housewash seems a little pricey we usually do 150 to the 250 range not a paint prep.

c) we look at driveways as a time measurement most are in the range of $65 - $175

d) how are you measuring the roof?

e) most decks are in the $75 - 125 area

f) I hate windows

Eventually you will look at a house and say "4 hours." Then you will have a better gauge on your time and cost and what to charge.

a) good idea, prices change anyway

b) housewash seems a little pricey we usually do 150 to the 250 range not a paint prep.

c) we look at driveways as a time measurement most are in the range of $65 - $175

d) how are you measuring the roof?

e) most decks are in the $75 - 125 area

f) I hate windows

Eventually you will look at a house and say "4 hours." Then you will have a better gauge on your time and cost and what to charge.

good question on the roofs,

probably just use my wheel, or take the sq footage of the house and try to figure in pitch somehow, ive heard that adding a 1/3rd will usually get you close

for the house wash you think 10c a square foot would b e too much???? what about second story and gutters

thanks for the feedback on deck and driveways

Andrew, There's to many variables to take into consideration to throw out a blanket rate per foot on exterior cleaning, i.e. landscaping, type of exterior, layout, how dirty, rust stains, etc. As you begin to get your feet wet, you'll find that when pricing houses, time guaging is the most accurate and most time efficient way to estimate a house wash. The same goes for driveways.

Around here in our area, an average 2000 sqft ranch style home will range between $150-$225 depending on factors described above, average driveways for me run between $65-$85. The Jacksonville market is also littered with with low ballers that will charge half that. Be prepared to compete with these guys. It can be done, you just have to be smarter than them, and practice your sales approach.

I've found it very difficult to sell quality wood work in this area, most just assume their deck rot away and then have another one built. I clean wood now and then, but usually will decline the opportunity to stain/seal.

Oh yeah, you will find roof cleaning to be one of the most profitable opportunities in this area. Do some searching on this BBS on roof cleaning to learn how most of us FL guys do it, and if you have any questions just ask.

yeah i have done some research and roof cleaning seems easy to sell with all the mold and algae in florida and the damage it can do

seems most people around here use chlorine right?? or a chlorine/bleach mix

seems the most cost effective and from what i heard it does a great job

low pressure with teh shurflo and then rinse off with the gun on low pressure or even a garden hose

dont think xjet would apply a strong enough mix

any advice on how to bid roofs?????

thanks again for any feedback

oh also anyone have any tips on insurance companies in florida area that offer cheap liability

i would think 500,000 should be sufficient for residential

andy

yeah i have done some research and roof cleaning seems easy to sell with all the mold and algae in florida and the damage it can do

seems most people around here use chlorine right?? or a chlorine/bleach mix

seems the most cost effective and from what i heard it does a great job

low pressure with teh shurflo and then rinse off with the gun on low pressure or even a garden hose

dont think xjet would apply a strong enough mix

any advice on how to bid roofs?????

thanks again for any feedback

oh also anyone have any tips on insurance companies in florida area that offer cheap liability

i would think 500,000 should be sufficient for residential

andy

You can always ask the customer most will know, or you can get it off of your local property appraiser website.