Sign in to follow this  
smokey51

Solid Color Stains For Combo Decks

Question

In this area, combo decks are very popular, i.e. solid color rails, pickets, etc and natural deck floors.

My question is what brand is the best solid color stain. In talking with people around here, most people (painters) just use laxtex paint. I would rather use a stain even if I have to do a primer coat.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Smokey51

2 answers to this question

Terry,

Cabot use to make good solid color oil based exterior wood stains. Did a complete solid oil job last spring using Cabot. Here in the Northeast due to VOC regs, they have had to change their formulas, not sure what you get in NC. If you have an airless, it applies quickly. You may want to cut it with a bit of mineral spirits, the Cabot oil I used last year was very thick in consistancy and needed to be thinned.

My experience is to avoid acrylic and latex stains or paints on exterior wood subject to sun and rain. Seen too many cases of wood rot, both PT and cedar, on deck balustrades. In addition, these products can be a nightmare to maintain.

yea, dont put paint on a deck, even the spindles, water WILL find its way in and start rotting the wood before the paint even starts to bubble up. cabots used to be pretty good with their solids, but sounds like its turning into cocka.