Sign in to follow this  
blackjack21

Are sealants bs

Question

Since i've been in biz I've been approached by several "salesmen" selling miracle sealers. The latest guy thats been calling has stuff for concrete, stuff for siding etc. etc. etc. Are these guys snake oil salesmen or are there sealers that actually work? I'm guessing if I seal a driveway it will still need to be cleaned in a year or so anyway!

Blackjack

3 answers to this question

I have no idea about sealing vynal/aluminum siding. Never heard of it.Concrete and pavers are easily sealed. Water based sealers don't last all that long. Do not use cheap sealers. Water based goes on milky,and clears dry.If you have ever tried using cheap paint you'll remember how long it took as well as how much more you had to use.I prefer the solvent based.You'll find out quick enough if you need a gripper added.Slippery as heck if you don't and it snows.Don't imagine that it's much of an issue in Jax FL. A good sealer lasts 3-4 years up here. There can be good money in anything if you are good (+ ask for it). Go to your local brick retailers to get an idea what the pros in your area use. I noticed no one else responded. Hope this helps.

blackjack I agree with richard, however there are some high end waterbase sealers that work very well. What was the manufacturers name of the sealer he was trying to sell you. I sell many different types of sealers at my regular job and also use them on my side jobs for masonry and concrete.