Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Sil-O-Wet/PlexMaster

Question

If anyone has used this product can you suggest a mixture ration for a 5 gallon bucket?

I plan to X-Jet this on vinyl siding from a 5 gal bucket and cannot figure out what the mix ration should be.

Envirspec's website says 40 part water to 1 Part soution for downstreaming.

Having trouble interpreting that into X-Jet w/5 gal. bucket.

Also, does this product need to be rinsed from windows after applied to the side of a house?

thanks

18 answers to this question

I want to use it as a sealer/wax/protectant for vinyl. What do you recomend based on that? I am currently using a wet wax and get good results. I am hoping that plex master can provide results even better than a wet wax.

Start with about a 1/2 to 1 quart per 5. The stuff is nice to use and adjust so you can mix it to get your desired results. You will want to rinse the windows before they dry, but thats pretty easy since it doesn't really need to sit and dwell before you rinse.

Start with about a 1/2 to 1 quart per 5. The stuff is nice to use and adjust so you can mix it to get your desired results. You will want to rinse the windows before they dry, but thats pretty easy since it doesn't really need to sit and dwell before you rinse.

OK, clear me up here. ESpec says a 5er will make 45-55gal of product to DS. I take this to mean a typical 7:1 or 10:1 DS unit.

Are you saying 1/2 - 1 qt of the UNDILUTED product to 5er then DS?

Or apply it to the house at 1/2 to 1 qt (undiluted as shipped to my door concentrate) per 5?

I know these are probablly dumb questions, but I have never used this product and just ordered it and awaiting its arrival.

You will have approx 1/3 of a quart of concentrate per gallon of water to make a ready to use ds (or xjet) mixture. So with a 5 gal pail put in 1-1.5 quarts of concentrate and fill the rest with water now it is ready to use. You can mix it weaker and still get results, this is a highly concentrated product.

Based on 5 gal to make avg. 50 gal DS product.. I come up with 2 quart per fiver...

50/5= 10% (1:10)

128 oz./10%.= 12.8 oz per gal

128oz. x 5 gal= 640oz./10%=64oz.= 2 quart avg. per fiver

Then so if approx. concentrate dilution goal = 10% (1:10, or 64 oz. per 5 gal.) chem to water first cut before a DS then after 20% DS (1:5) dilution it = 2% (1:50) chem to water end product for straight application...that right?

ps- .. and so if that is true then for straight spraying I need 2.56 oz. per gal. or 12.8 oz. per fiver...??

Based on 5 gal to make avg. 50 gal DS product.. I come up with 2 quart per fiver...

50/5= 10% (1:10)

128 oz./10%.= 12.8 oz per gal

128oz. x 5 gal= 640oz./10%=64oz.= 2 quart avg. per fiver

Then so if approx. concentrate dilution goal = 10% (1:10, or 64 oz. per 5 gal.) chem to water first cut before a DS then after 20% DS (1:5) dilution it = 2% (1:50) chem to water end product for straight application...that right?

ps- .. and so if that is true then for straight spraying I need 2.56 oz. per gal. or 12.8 oz. per fiver...??

I THINK your math is a little off. I am not going to calculate it tonight, I am fried. But this will get you going. But this is how I calculated it:

5gal makes 55. (1:10) that is correct.

Your cancentration then is 5chem/55total volume=9.1% chemical

You have to calculate your percentage based on total volume, not just the amount of water you add.

so at 1:10 2q:20q -22g total volume, or 5.5gal. Of reconstituted concentrate. (using your 2qt theory)

that 5.5g would then be DS at 1:10 5.5g:55g = 60.5g total volume. (5.5/60.5=9.1% (again))

If you reduce the ratio of 5.5g:55g by dividing by 5 you will get 1.1g:11g

divide both side by two to go from 11gal to approximately 5gal :1.1/2 : 11g/2

That gives you .55g : 5.5g (reconstitute to water)

So fo direct spray (no DS) you would use 70.4oz to 5.5gal of water.

70.4 * 9.1% = 6.4oz of raw, undiluted chem per 5.5gal of water for direct spray.

I may be totally wrong. I have trouble sometimes with ratios.

I think I lied. . .I did calculate it out tonight . . .:-)

I THINK your math is a little off. I am not going to calculate it tonight, I am fried. But this will get you going. But this is how I calculated it:

5gal makes 55. (1:10) that is correct.

Your cancentration then is 5chem/55total volume=9.1% chemical

You have to calculate your percentage based on total volume, not just the amount of water you add.

so at 1:10 2q:20q -22g total volume, or 5.5gal. Of reconstituted concentrate. (using your 2qt theory)

that 5.5g would then be DS at 1:10 5.5g:55g = 60.5g total volume. (5.5/60.5=9.1% (again))

If you reduce the ratio of 5.5g:55g by dividing by 5 you will get 1.1g:11g

divide both side by two to go from 11gal to approximately 5gal :1.1/2 : 11g/2

That gives you .55g : 5.5g (reconstitute to water)

So fo direct spray (no DS) you would use 70.4oz to 5.5gal of water.

70.4 * 9.1% = 6.4oz of raw, undiluted chem per 5.5gal of water for direct spray.

I may be totally wrong. I have trouble sometimes with ratios.

I think I lied. . .I did calculate it out tonight . . .:-)

Hi Eric :) ...enough to fry, bbq and bake the brain all at once hu? Can't say about yer numbers as not only did ya loose me but my math skills aint very strong at all.

What I can say fer sure is that I mispoke by implying "per" was to mean water to be added with chem. I meant "per" as total.

The idea was to reduce to come to an end percentage that could be used in a variety of spray methods. I thought my 50 gal. total (based on avg. 45 to 55 mentioned in catalog) was exactly that..a 50 gal. total that didn't require it's use but for to calculate the 1:10 or to agree with ensueing answers. I mean we know starting with a fiver and no more than 50 gal. total space demands that only 45 gal. water be used. I don't really need the 45 gal. answer or an 55 answer. I need a 50 answer...haha

So but yea my figures are likely off and is of course why I asking forum... until I 'get it' I am still stuck thinking same amounts.... :

starting fiver----128oz X 5 gal =640 oz. (1 part)

640 oz. plus 10 same size parts (6400 oz.) = 7040 oz. divided by 128 oz. = 55 gal....(lol, I know we don't need all them oz. ,just fun to look at)

What's wrong with the figures?.... well I am striving for only 50 gal tot. of course..gotta go back to basic math 101 as the 50 would be off a 1:9 ratio...

Where to start in backward engineer I could ask but everything upstairs is mush more than it was when I started..

Is the 2% close?

See I prefure to be able to use known fixed numbers, like the 50, for to be able to input into this other formula I realized awhile back after Philip straightened me out....well so much fer that..lol :)

ps-- wonder how many times now I put out wrong numbers on things..ah well, close enough..rotflmaof

2% is pretty dead on if you DS it at 1:4 (20%)

50gals of mix DS at given ratios:

1:4 (20%)

50:200 = 250 sprayed.

5g/250g=2% Raw Chem (original raw chem volume divided by the final output)

Raw Chem to final output: 1:49

1:5 (16.6%)

50:250 = 300 Sprayed

5/300= 1.6666% Raw Chem

Raw Chem to final output: 1:59

1:9 (10%)

50:450 = 500 Sprayed

5/500 = 1% Raw Chem

Raw Chem to Final Output: 1:99

But my BIG question is:

What have most of you found to be the best performance/Value on your application rate? Say we have our 45-55g of mix ready to DS/X-Jet (I think Paul is an anti-x-jet guy) what ratio are you applying the mix at?

If anyone has used this product can you suggest a mixture ration for a 5 gallon bucket?

I plan to X-Jet this on vinyl siding from a 5 gal bucket and cannot figure out what the mix ration should be.

Envirspec's website says 40 part water to 1 Part soution for downstreaming.

Having trouble interpreting that into X-Jet w/5 gal. bucket.

Also, does this product need to be rinsed from windows after applied to the side of a house?

thanks

Not certain you really got a good answer. In the midst of my conversation with Kevin, I thought. . .wait, what is the question here. . .

To make the math really easy, lets use Kevins math and assume we are making 50g of mix from the 5gal they sent you.

thats a 1:9 ratio (5:45=50g total mix volume) and gives you a nice 10% chem concentration. EASY MATH. (Thanks Kevin for the KISS method)

Lets say you are only wanting to mix a 5er and not fill a space in your life with 50gal of plexmaster. 5gal * 2% = .5gal. .or 2qt. So you would mix 2qt plexmaster to 4.5gal of water for your total ready to use mix.

From there apply it with the x-jet using a proportioner for the application ratio you wish to use.

I have some plexmaster, but not used it. So I can't tell you what the best application ratio is. That may be trial and error.

Eric,

Like how a plan comes together..good work!. Your examples really speak to me well in that I have to try and remember both side of ratio must be added.

The 20% is never 1:5 and the 10% is never 1:10...The right half of all my ratios are a number too high. I come up sorta ok though by way of doing most the figuring with the percentages..lucky me.

Now I can move forward, Thanx Eric..haha

i'm not sure about all the math you guys are talking about but i'll share my method of applying plexmaster. naturally i make 55 gallons of concentrate out of the 5 gallons of product. i have applied 20:1 with an x-jet proportioner and i have also applied 10:1 with my downstreamer. using my rinse nozzles i then spread the plexmaster evenly on the house. i love the way it beads up on the windows. try it, you'll like it.

rando

Eric,

Like how a plan comes together..good work!. Your examples really speak to me well in that I have to try and remember both side of ratio must be added.

The 20% is never 1:5 and the 10% is never 1:10...The right half of all my ratios are a number too high. I come up sorta ok though by way of doing most the figuring with the percentages..lucky me.

Now I can move forward, Thanx Eric..haha

Cool. Glad I could help. Ratios always gave me fits. I wish I remembered all the math for calculating double dilutions. There are some formulas that make it much easier. But heck, thats been a few years ago. (about 18)

i'm not sure about all the math you guys are talking about but i'll share my method of applying plexmaster. naturally i make 55 gallons of concentrate out of the 5 gallons of product. i have applied 20:1 with an x-jet proportioner and i have also applied 10:1 with my downstreamer. using my rinse nozzles i then spread the plexmaster evenly on the house. i love the way it beads up on the windows. try it, you'll like it.

rando

I mixed up a gal today and did a test on one half of the side of my house that gets beat really hard by the sun. I made 50 gal from 5. (10%) then I allplied with my DS which I think is either 1:9 or 1:10.

Do you notice a significant difference between 1:20 and 1:10? Ot do you adjust according to the amount of oxidation?

i cannot say that i really saw a difference between 10:1 and 20:1 applications. since i rinsed after applying for better coverage i feel like i spread the 10:1 application a little bit more. when using plexmaster i see the biggest difference on the windows and glass doors as sometimes the customer does also. to me it's something that separates me from my competition as i like to offer a free wax with every wash. if i had to choose between a carwash with wax or without for the same price then i think i would take the freeby. customers, just like us, love freebies.

rando