Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

Truth or fiction

Question

I cleaned a house a bit back and have been meaning to ask this question.

The gentleman who owned the home asked me how much pressure I use on the windows.

He was concerned about hitting the windows with high pressure. Not afraid I would break them however. He went on to tell me that if hit the windows of the double or triple pain windows with argon gas in them which acts as an insulator, that you can disrupt the seal that keeps the gas in. Therefore, the homeowner loses the efficience of the expensive windows and what they were meant to do.

Has anyone else heard of this?

5 answers to this question

Your customer was right, but that's not the only reason. If you use pressure on thermapane windows, and you blow the seal, the windows can fog and also allow all kinds of funky stuff to grow inbetween the panes. NEVER USE ANY PRESSURE ON DOUBLE PANE WINDOWS. That wasn't for you, but rather anyone who might not know better.

Thanks for the fast reply. I never have used high pressure. When I get to the windows I rinse them with my dual lance on soft of pressure as I can get it.

Yesterday I out giving a quote when the Homeowner and I noticed the guy across the street was having his house done by my biggest competition in the area. This guy has been doing PW for 15 years and yesterday he was 12 inches away blasting the windows full bore. I explained to the customer the myth as if I new for certain it was true and today I did the job. Another good selling point.

It's 100% true.

I clean a lot of windows and I have a lot of people who get really upset when I show them that the fog on their windows is in between the panes due to the jackleg that they let PRESSURE wash their house.

Rinse the windows with a soap tip or a garden hose. It takes more time, but you won't have to buy any expensive thermal pane windows.

Yes it is true as others have said.

I think other factors can cause the seals to break as well. I have 2 windows on my own house that have broken seals and the fog between the panes. These seals broke before I ever got into pressure washing and before I ever washed my own house.

Bottom line is use very little pressure on the windows. I use a dual-lance wand as others have mentioned in order to dial back the pressure.

Mike

Thanks again everyone. It is nice to confirm the truth. It also helps sell customers when you can advise them of possible danger due to pressure washing and how you avoid it. Proves to them that you are knowledgeable about what you do. And then when the competition goes to give a quote and fail to mention such info, you look like the hero.