Sign in to follow this  
Guest rfitz

Bid for shake roof

Question

Guest rfitz

I got a call yesterday to bid a cedar shake roof, wow, big roof,

the house is 2100 sq ft the roof is probably double that, has anyone done 1 of these, how to bid it, do it, etc.. roof is 18 years old and steep,

THX

6 answers to this question

I just looked at one of these myself this weekend. Same situation, large square footage (2400), steep, 45 degree angle... mold & small trees starting to grow out of the roof... and getting to the roof is going to be very difficult because they have trees all the way around their house. (I am not built for repelling).

I told him it was out of my league because I am just starting out... pump up sprayers are no match for this job. (Of course it may be a good reason to get a shurflo setup and a deckster)... but he wanted me to give him a bid that he could compare to some companies from the twin cities (MN). Here is what I came up with... I figured it was the same process as a deck... strip, brighten, seal... so I took the square footage 2400 * my deck price of $1.25 = $3000. Then I checked into lifts. To be safe, I estimated that it may take 2 days to strip & brighten and another 2 days to seal. 4 days of rental on a 45 foot lift was about $900. So, the total bid would be about $3900.

The customer was shocked at the price. He is going to let me know what kind of prices the companies from the cities quote him.

Did I give him a good estimate or was I way off the mark. Again, I am not taking this job... I just want to know for the future.

Another thought I had was to charge him by the hour with a certain cap on the price. It may go faster than anticipated which would bring down my cost and the lift rental fees.

I would say pass on this one it sounds like a good candidate for a reroof or atleast in need of alot of repairs.

P.S. I got your message give me a call tomorrow before 5 and I'll make some time for ya.