Sign in to follow this  
blackjack21

pressure treated-no seal/stain required

Question

My friend (sitting in front of me at the moment), who I affectionately call "know it all Nix" claims that pressure treated wood never goes bad and doesn't need to be treated (sealed/stained). I don't know but I think he's wrong ; at least I know I don't know all the answers.

Can some wood guys chime in here pleeeeease. Also, do you guys mostly stain rather than seal?

Blackjack

10 answers to this question

Pressure treated wood is merely pine that has been impregnated with chemicals like copper azole and alkaline copper quaternary to prevent insect dmamage and to some degree, rot. This is not a water repellant finish and still leaves the wood susceptible to warping, checking and cupping. I have seen some neglected PTP and it was not something you would want to walk on with bare feet.

This deck is 7 yrs old and has never been treated. Black stain is from gas grill that dripped on the deck boards. What do you think?

Nice looking job Curtis what did you clean it with?

Blackjack,

New PT lumber does need to be maintained eventually if it's exposed to the weather no matter what anybody says.When wood goes thru wet/dry cycles baking in the sun it ages so fast.You will have to keep it protected from the weather rain/sun/snow if you want it to last and not grow up to be firewood!

If you want anything to last and look good you have to maintain it like a clock yearly or every other year.Hell you still have to maintain the composites that are supposed to be maintance FREE atleast clean it for mildew.

The only way PT wood can go without getting protected if it is under some kind of enclosed porch or arbor etc.not getting wet at anytime.

Nice looking job Curtis what did you clean it with?quote]

Grease stain was cleaned with RPC 113 Roof Magic at ratio of 1:1. The rest was cleaned at 1:5 to "blend" the rest of the deck in. Neutralized and brightened. All this was done Friday and I am waiting for it to dry. This is my first deck and I don't have a clue what to do next. Thompson's? LOL

I am waiting for it to dry. This is my first deck and I don't have a clue what to do next.

Look for some TWP in your area or a similar oil base penetrating stain.

whats in that roof magic that makes it so magic?

Look for some TWP in your area or a similar oil base penetrating stain.

I don't know what TWP is?

whats in that roof magic that makes it so magic?

Sodium Hydrox. I think. I will have to check the MSDS to be sure. I know it works great on grease! Never tried it on roofs though. Maybe next week if it quits raining.

TWP "Total Wood Preservative" is a oil base stain that i would think you might be able to find it in your area?

I always thought it was available in most areas but I might be wrong.