Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

what is this?

Question

I am putting together an estimate for a customer who wants several things done at their home, including 4,000 sq foot brick house with gutters, appx 5,000 sq feet of flat work including concrete patio, pool deck, driveway and sidewalks, 2 wood decks and even an awning.

I have 2 questions.

1. I am trying to determine if the red areas on the pool deck are rust or red clay. I have oxalic for rust but nothing for red clay. Suggestions?

2. Also, one of the decks is half painted and half stained/sealed (or should i say WAS). I am unsure how to approach this part of the project.

The customer says he is also hiring a painter, should I contact the painter and work with him (hint, he also does pressure washing on the side so wouldn't want to tip him off that they are hiring me).

ATTACHED: pictures of wooden deck, pool deck and close up of one of the red areas. I have more pics.

Thanks

Dustin

post-1611-137772158397_thumb.jpg

post-1611-137772158402_thumb.jpg

post-1611-137772158407_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

That looks like sprinkler rust to me, probably from reclaimed water. As far as the painter goes, personally I would not talk with him until job is complete. What stops this guy from under bidding you? I do not bad mouth people because it sounds unprofessional but alot of guys down here do. Perhaps because it is so competitive. That being said, this guy is lookin for extra work, will work cheaper, prefers to clean houses before he does the painting....Just playing devils advocate, just looks like a job you wouldn t want to lose.

I use 1/2 pound per gallon, mix it with warm water. I just keep applying until the rust starts to go away. Then wash the heck out of it.