Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

A wall, a fence, a walk way and landing

Question

Hello,

Just went to see a residential property that needs some odds and ends. Mostly due to her son and his paintball. Seems the little brat dosn't mind shooting a residence worth 2 million. So mommy and daddy called me.

They need a stone wall with mortar washed, total square feet of wall surface is 420. Stone wall has the most paintball marks. Once was a color paint, now is only white. She claims is comes off with water if done right away but this has been on a few months.

The second part is a fence. 42 6' long sections of 3 rails each, Each rail is 4 inches wide x 4 sides. Wood fence painted dark green. Only wants one side done which means the posts and 2 sides of each rail. Tried to explain the whole thing should be done, but she dosn't care about the part facing the woods. If the price is right though, she will consider the whole thing.

Third is about 20 stone pavers,each 1 x2 and they all stand alone in tall grass. Goes from pool to pool house.

And last is a landing outside of her side door loaded with irrigation rust. Area is 100 feet square.

I have not priced so many little things for one job so any help would be great. As I said, 2 million dollar piece of property, very nice area.

I am thinking $150 for the wall, about 35 cents per foot square, it could take some time with the paint.

The fence I am thinking about 20 cents per square foot which comes out to about $200, this should probably be more.

The pavers I am thinking $50 flat.

And the landing, if Rust will even come off stone, I would charge $75 for. Treat with oxalic and blast away.

A total of $475 and about 4 hours of work.

Do these prices seem to high, to low, ball park. Any help would be great. Thanks Mike

6 answers to this question

A lot depends on how easy or hard it is to get the paint off. For the pavers, if it is mildew and impacted dirt spray strong chlorine and housewash with a pump up. You may have to spray some spots twice. I do this a lot and never even have to pressure wash just pre-wet grass and rinse once they turn white.It's a lot easier and cleaner for the operator and usually more effective. Painted wood is pretty easy, usually. Make sure you coat all of the surface. Clean the landing first(if needed) then spray oxalic. May take more then one application. It's hard to judge price without seeing the job but I might throw in the pavers, create good will and have a good, regular account.

Dan, thanks for the help.

The fence I am sure will be fairly easy, it is just stretched out over some are so that will account for some time. The wall I think will come clean hot water, just afraid of hurting the mortar with hot water, not sure if that will impact it or not. the pavers, i agree, chlorine and let sit. the landing will be the biggest challenge.

Maybe I will offer to do if for $400, $475 with both sides of the fence. It is a huge house I am sure I would gain as a job one day, not to mention a huge deck and pool apron. All in a very nice area.

thanks

That was my thinking when I mentioned a discount. Some people don't agree with offering discounts but I offer package deals a lot.

I stopped at a residence in a very nice development I am planning on direct mailing to. The homeowner was out front. He seemed resistant to me even walking up. To make a long story short, I got the name and number to the hoa president who runs the community newsletter, the resident owns a quadplex that I will do in the future and his daughter is selling her house (which I bid when I left) Roof, House and Concrete! Met with the hoa prez. today set my ad up for the newsletter and scheduled the hoa's house and concrete for Monday. I offered both package deals for helping ME out.

I was gonna start a thread about this to let people know that you never know what a simple inquiry or any kind of legwork will get you.

Good luck with the bid.

The thing you have to be careful of when pricing a bunch of small things is to not price yourself out of a job! I have a tendency to price each item as if that's the ONLY item I'd be doing, meaning setup and teardown time is factored in, drive time, etc. I wind up with an over-priced bid, and I have to re-calculate things a bit.

Thanks Mike, After writing up the bid tonight, I realized it was a bit steep. I will lower it a bit and hopefully gain some future work from it.

Thanks Mike, After writing up the bid tonight, I realized it was a bit steep. I will lower it a bit and hopefully gain some future work from it.

I wasn't suggesting it was too steep. That's for you to know, since I don't know your market. Heck, I have a $700 roof clean/housewash/driveway Monday that shouldn't take me and a helper more than 4 hours. That's not a normal 4 hour day, regrettably!!