Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Door story

Question

Check out the deal I ended up getting on these doors.

We had a front door budget for our new home of $2512.00 that was for the front door of the main house & the front door of the Inlaw. The builder recomended Therma Tru doors, fiberglass. I asked them where to get them or look at them and he told us their building supplier place has them, same place the windows & other doors come from. He also said Lowe's carries them and we could look at them. We found out quick front doors cost some big buck and the $2500 budget we couldnt get top of the line or anywhere close to it.

We had picked out Benchmark by Therma Tru a lesser quality with a minimal warranty , but they were pretty with silver caning on the glass. The building supply salesman called and he said lets meet about the front doors and this was about 2 months ago. Well they carry Therma Tru but did not haave the same caning style for the glass so he showed me books with other caning and we picked the caning you see in this pic. I showed the guy the quote from Lowes and he said we can get it for that price or maybe even a little lower , he'll check the price. Well one set of doors was door & 2 full side lights and Inlaw was door & 1 half sidelight. The lowes were smooth finish instead of fake wood grain finish

I told the bilding supply rep to get a price I have to stay with in the total budget for doors. Well a week & a half went by and no call, I called him to ask for the price he was out on a job sight , he never called me back and I called the next day and he said sorry real busy and he'll get me the price he never called me back, well we never ordered doors and was getting ready to order from Lowes soon

Then last week I go to the house and these doors are in the house not installed yet, but I looked at them and I knew these doors were HIGH DOLLAR doors and not within our budget, real High dollar you could tell. The caning and glass was far superior than the Lowes doors and the doors had the wood grain look not smooth finish and the doors them selves were just heavier and just a much better door than the Benchmark by Therma Tru by Lowes. So I call the saleman and tell him hey theres doors at my house and he never gave us a price on them and we never said order them. I told him they look out of our budget price. I told him they were wood grain not smooth and he said smooth or grain were the same priceuaully. He said he would check price next day when he went to office.

Next day I call him and he said he's out on another sight and when he gets to office he'll call me. I go out to the house and doors are now installed.

Saleman calls and says, the Lowes doors must be a metal door and says he just ordered these doors in a rush and he asks are the new doors installed I said yes. I ask him why, He goes he screwed up big time and the one door set is $2800 and the Inlaw is $1800. i said WHOA and I asked him why he ordered them and they will have to go back its way out of our budget. He said that they are installed at least they wont get stolen and he apoligized and said it was totally his screw up , he just ordered them when we picked out caning style. So we met the next day at the house and he said he screwed up he's been real busy and we can pick out other doors or just order the Lowes doors.

We meet at the house and he says the door company may of made a mistake too, these doors are 6 panel and not 4 panel and he hardly ever orders 6 panel because they are more expensive. He's thinking he can get door compnay to eat some of the price. I tell him I cant afford these doors even if he gave them to us at cost. He calls his office and they check again what he ordered and he did order 6 panel , this guy was bumming out. He;s a nice guy and he screwed up. He said would i consider keeping these doors if he gave them to me at cost, I said what about the builder and he said he called and he's going to call back. He said if I pay an extra $700 on top of the $2500 budget he'll eat the rest as long as the builder waives his mark up. I told him if he gets it in writing Id love the much better door and I'll pay the extra $700. These are some great quality doors and real pretty too. So I figure I'm getting a real good deal because this guy screwed up and I just hate to pass up a good deal.

If I didnt take doors they would have gone back to building supply place and he would have had to sell them cheap if he even could sell them right away.

The builder agreed and I get both door sets for $3200 Im happy, real happy these are so much better doors than the Lowes ones!!!!!!

Check out the doors cool !!!!

Message to door saleman , check price & budget before ordering.:lgbugeyes oops

Sorry for the long story Im just happy I got a good deal and some nice doors

JL

2 answers to this question

Very nice door! Sounds like the salesman was trying to screw you. At least he gave you a good price. Are you going to have the door stained or painted? If you do decide to stain, Therma tru sells a stain kit for their doors.

Doug

Very nice door! Sounds like the salesman was trying to screw you. At least he gave you a good price. Are you going to have the door stained or painted? If you do decide to stain, Therma tru sells a stain kit for their doors.

Doug

Doug I'm pretty sure Im painting them havent decided yet, we had picked out a couple accent colors before these doors came in. You know I really dont think he was trying to screw me on these, He screwed up and he knew it and hell he knocked off over $1400. I went to Lowes yesterday and the price on their really good Therma Tru's was up there around the price he stated or more. His mistake my good futune

Man doors can be pricey!

JL