Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Hd-80 Faq Sheet

HD-80 FAQ SHEET

What does HD-80 work on?

HD-80 works on removing oil based sealants, latex or alkyd stains, semi-transparent or solid color stains, polymer/resin based coatings, acrylic based coatings and paint. Removes SIKKENS, BEHR, CABOT, PENOFIN, TWP, CWF, READY SEAL, WOLMAN, OLYMPIC, CUPRINOL, ABR, FLOOD, and some paints.

How much HD-80 should I use per gallon?

It depends on what type of sealant you are trying to remove, age of the current sealant, integrity of the remaining sealant and the amount still present. All these will be determining factors on the strength necessary. Start out with 2oz. per gallon and apply it to a small area to determine effectiveness. Too much will cause wood fuzzing, so less is better to start with. If necessary, add ½ oz. more HD-80 and test again. Repeat this until you have a strength that works well for the conditions present.

How do I know when HD-80 is working?

The coating will change color and the wood will turn dark.

How long does HD-80 take to work?

Depending on the coating you are removing, it can become apparent in about 30 seconds as the coating changes color.

What if I can't see the wood under a solid color stain? How do I tell if HD-80 has gone through all the layers?

Use a garden hose and apply fingertip pressure over the end of the hose to imitate a pressure washer spray and apply it to a small area where you want to check its effectiveness. If any stain is still present, re-apply HD-80 again until removed.

Will HD-80 remove mold & mildew or should I add bleach?

Bleach and sodium hydroxide don't react well together unless prepared with a buffer and oxidizer. HD-80 will remove mold, mildew and algae without bleach and will retard re-growth.

What if I mix too much and have more than is needed for the job, will any left over HD-80 go bad?

No. HD-80 is stable and has a long shelf life. It can be pre-mixed with water into a concentrate for use later and diluted to meet your needs.

The wood has turned dark after treatment! How do I get it to lighten up?

Use a mild acid based conditioner like "Citrolic Acid" to brighten up the wood. This helps to neutralize any sodium hydroxide after stripping.

Can HD-80 be used on other surfaces? HD-80 can be used to clean concrete, vinyl siding, brick, Trex and PVC.

What would happen if I applied a stain without neutralizing HD-80?

Don't skip the 2nd step of using a neutralizer after stripping a deck! Any sodium hydroxide left in the wood will cause your stain job to fail prematurely. This would greatly upset your customer and cost you money in the end. The time spent to neutralize and rinse completely is well worth the end result of a properly prepared surface for sealing and a satisfied customer.

What makes HD-80 more cost effective than other strippers on the market today?

HD-80 is versatile due to the operator being able to determine the strength needed for any given job. Most other strippers cannot be diluted or strengthened due to premix composition and lack of additional active ingredients to supplement the products performance for tougher situations. i.e. What you buy is all you get!

Will HD-80 harm plants or grass?

Sodium hydroxide is caustic and will produce chemical burns on plants and grass and will eventually kill them if precautions are not taken. Spray all vegetation with water that is in the vicinity and cover sensitive plants in close proximity with plastic to avoid exposure.

Is HD-80 harmful to humans or pets?

Yes! Wear protective clothing like a PVC jacket and pants, PVC or rubber gloves, goggles and a chemical respirator when using this product. Read all MSDS and first aid material completely before beginning. Knowing what to do if something goes wrong while using HD-80 will help minimize the risk of serious injury. Keep animals away from areas (confined in home is best) where HD-80 is being used. Keep children and bystanders away while using HD-80. Wind currents can carry the mist and injure those people who are not protected.

Will HD-80 harm siding?

Aluminum siding is affected by HD-80 so it should be protected from exposure. Vinyl siding has not shown to be affected since it is molded in color instead of superficial coloring methods used on aluminum. HD-80 will also work on wood siding that has been painted or sealed. Protect it from exposure if you are not working on it specifically.