Sign in to follow this  
sjpressurewashin

Deck Question

Question

Was just wondering if someone could tell me what else I could do to this deck to get the rust stains out of the old deck boards you see in picture. There is one in the middle and two by the door. This patio was a new addition onto the deck. You can see the new deck boards in the picture. Also can the old wood be brightened any more to get closer to the new ones? Restore from envirospec was used for cleaner and Deck and Shake Brite was used for a brightener. I put two coats of the brightener on to try and get it to lighten as close as I could. Needless to say the customer was happy but I wasn't. The deck hadn't be cleaned in ten years, the rust stains are 8 plus years old.

Thanks in advance

S & J Pressure Washing

post-1839-137772158854_thumb.jpg

post-1839-137772158865_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

I would say to use oxalic acid, or try ESI's Citralic mixed a bit on the strong side. This should get rid of the rust stains. Pure oxalic acid might lighten the old boards a bit more.

HTH,

Doug

Oxalic for the rust and bleach will help even the old and new boards a little better but you can't work magic.Try some sanding like Ken said but you have to even the whole board out if you sand.