Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

masonry damage

Question

I just landed a nice sized housewash in a very wealthy neighborhood. Vinyl and brick (has a brick chimney also) Lady called today, some friends told her that a pressure washer will destroy her brick, mortor will fall out, and bricks fall off the house. I explained to her that I use under 1000 P.S.I. (low pressure) and let the chemicals do the work for me. She wants to taslk about it more on Monday when I come by. Can anyone help me out with explaining procedure or technique ( maybe links to washing instructions or something) How do you guys wash brick. The brick has a lot of mold and algae build up. I was going to use 12.5% with some citracleen and surfactant.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

4 answers to this question

I would rack my brain all weekend trying to come up with a polite way to ask her if her supergenius friends had any suggestions as to how you should clean bricks.

Toothbrush and vinegar, maybe?

She is seeking knowlege. Her friends unfortunately have rhetoric based in semi truth. Your knowlege has to seem tangible. Explain how her friends are right to be concerned about damage. That is why you not only carry liability insurance but have refined your technique to be as gentle as possible on the brick and at the same time achieve impressive results. Use words like efflorescence.. explain what it is and how it can be avoided or if it is already there, removed. Explain that your pressure washer is merely a tool in your arsenal that you use to agititate and wash away dirt. Tell her you do not rely on high pressure to clean, that is why your results are superior and can guarantee no damage. (PS I don't like going above 500 psi on brick unless I know what type it is)

Unless you are worried about surrounding vegetation use a fairly potent mix of your housewash blend. Mortar tends to hold mold and needs a higher concentration of 12%. The citracleen will work well from what I know of it.

Doug, congrats on the job.....

If you have some letters of recommendation, and/or pics of some work that you have done, alongside with what Ken and Thad offered that may set her at ease.

Thanks for the help guys,

I have books full of recommendations, but no pictures of brick. I don't do a lot. This house is extremely moldy because it's set back in the woods. I have washed brick many times, mold around downspouts, at the base of the house, cut in basement behind house, or where there is no sunshine, but this house has it all over. I use a strong mix of 12% (4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket with my other ingredients downstreamed at 20%). I will probably explain to her that if a washer is used incorrectly than it will cut right through the brick, but in the hands of a skilled person with the right knowledge and the right chemicals the brick will turn out great with no damage. I was just wondering if there is any internet material advocating the use of pressure washer on brick.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694