Sign in to follow this  
Brett mac

Advice on setting up a surface cleaner

Hi everybody,

I've just purchased an 18 inch Whirlaway on castors (pressure washer 3000 psi, 4 gpm) and had a couple of questions I hoped someone could answer.

1. What height should the nozzles be above the surface of the ground? I had to adjust the castors to level it up and was wanting to know what the standard height should be.

2. How can you tell what degree nozzles you have installed in your surface cleaner and what is the best angle to use, or is it just trial and error?

3. Most of my work will be mainly cleaning concrete pavers which should handle 3000 psi but I am assuming I will be asked to clean a range of different surfaces, so what is the best pressure to clean:

- Concrete (new)

- Concrete (older and showing aggregate)

- Concrete (sealed with a wet look sealer - would you treat this the same way as you would wash a house?)

- Asphalt

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Hi everybody,

I've just purchased an 18 inch Whirlaway on castors (pressure washer 3000 psi, 4 gpm) and had a couple of questions I hoped someone could answer.

1. What height should the nozzles be above the surface of the ground? I had to adjust the castors to level it up and was wanting to know what the standard height should be.

2. How can you tell what degree nozzles you have installed in your surface cleaner and what is the best angle to use, or is it just trial and error?

3. Most of my work will be mainly cleaning concrete pavers which should handle 3000 psi but I am assuming I will be asked to clean a range of different surfaces, so what is the best pressure to clean:

- Concrete (new)

- Concrete (older and showing aggregate)

- Concrete (sealed with a wet look sealer - would you treat this the same way as you would wash a house?)

- Asphalt

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Hi Brett,

I can't really help with the Whirlaway, (mine's a UK brand) but here is some info that might help.

The nozzels I have are 25025 qt meg, which work great on pavers etc. I have used 025 high impact nozzels and they were fine to.

I use my machine flat out with a flat surface cleaner so around 3000-3500 psi, never had any problems, but aways check the surface you are going to work on, if there are any already broken/cracked pavers tell the owners first, and used reduced pressure on these, same for concrete/aggregate surfaces, you don't want the owners pointing finger saying you trashed their surface. I photo any already damaged surfaces before (at time of quote) with a date and time stamp on photo. Most concrete I do these days I chemical first results are better. I don't do ashfelt/tarmac so can't help you there.

Hope some of this helps.

Roger