Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

hitch aide?

Can anyone recommend their favorite trailer hitch back'em up aide? I've seen the mirrors, tennis balls, etc. How can I make this (soon to be daily) task, well, less of a task? I've seen the metal 'wedges' that if you get close guides hitch to ball and this seems best of the bunch.

Lil' help...:)

/neil

I have a friend that had painted some lines in his garage and in the entrance of his garage so he could line up the truck with the lines and it would be very close all the time but the trailer was light enough on the tongue that he would just kick it the 1/2" or 1" and be ready to hook it up. I was thinking of the big rounded mirrors that are in the stores that let you see at the ends of the isles. I would put it high enough to see it over the tailgate but close to the neck of the trailer so you can see the ball hitch lining up. I do not know where they sell these or how much but I think it would work if you had some light shining at the ball hitch if the garage was dark. You could mount it on a little wooden frame so you could remove it and keep it in a safe place. I need to put it on my list of things to search for. I have a big toolbox mounted on the front end of the trailer on the top rail that I could just sit it up on top and I think it would work. I just have to find the mirror. It would be better if it was plastic so if it broke it would not cost a fortune to replace it.

just center truck with trailer and back up until bumper hits hits trailer then pull for a few inches and you will be right on. just kidding I must have hit the bumper on my truck a hundred times. no dents though. I have just gotten used to backing up to it. normally i can put the ball of the hitch within an inch

After you do it enough times Neil you dont need nuthin' but yo mirrors.

Yep. At first it's a pain, but after your first season you'll back under it so it drops on the ball with just a nudge from your thigh.

Neil,

Just for kicks do a google search for bumper cameras. You will find these small little cameras that attach to your rear bumper near the tag and monitors that clip to your sun visor. I know some boating people that have gone to camper stores and had them installed. I may be way off, but I think these may run around $350.00 or so.

I think I will just keep doing it the old fashion way...come on back until you hear glass. Kidding. It does get easier the more you do it and often I can do it better by myself than when someone is trying to help me. I swear my helper will steer me wrong almost every time.