Sign in to follow this  
hawk

University Pricing (HELP!)

I have a PO# for 1 job at a local Univ. (foot in the door) I have also meet with 1 of the Asst. Facility Mgrs. and he has $$$$ to spend on cleaning. He is trying to pin me down on a pricing structure so he can decide on what to clean know and how much. He was given this assignment from The Physical Plant Mgr. that I meet with last month to get the ball rolling.

We drove around the campus and he showed me what he had in mind and there was such a variety it was almost impossible to give a consistant price on the projects. Examples are the ceiling of an entrance to a building with heavy spider webs at 20x30, the next might be 4x4, then it was a front that had a little mold/mildew, then the major part of a building. The projects were so peice milled that I found it very hard to give him an idea of what I would charge.

I also was pointing out areas that nobody had thought about, and that added to the 3-4 pages he already had. I suggested a blanket PO and we could work on this year round. I still don't know how to charge them for total package work. I talked about, by the hour $75 or sq ft 10-15 cents.

I may be to low on the sq ft. I talked about a maintance program for certain areas, i.e. fountians, signs, cafe, a columns. He can spend $5000 every 35 days on like work, without bidding it. I have the option of doing 10K in work then billing them at a later date. As you can see I'm close to hitting a home run, (for me) and I don't want to screw this up.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I'm a 1 man show w/hot water and a surface cleaner. I have more confidence than experience. That fact may get me in trouble one day.

Thanks in Advance,

Hank

I do this sort of work all the time. There are a lot of opportunities here. I have a contract that I do this type of work for a set price per square foot. They also let me do the measuring. What this means is that they understand that some jobs are going to be worse than others. So, if I was you I would set a certain price and live by it. Aroud here, 10 cents a foot is high. But others think that is low. It all depends on what your market is like.