Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

What is the solution?

Question

Hello all,

I've just begun doing deck work and I've run into a deck with a solid red color Olympic Acrylic Latex stain on it. I've read that there is nothing to get that acylic latex off but I don't want to leave my customer hanging. He mentioned maybe putting a primer on and then another solid color stain, but I don't know if that would be effective. So, I would just like to know what I can do to help this guy out because his deck is hideous. Thanks for the help in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hello all,

I've just begun doing deck work and I've run into a deck with a solid red color Olympic Acrylic Latex stain on it. I've read that there is nothing to get that acylic latex off but I don't want to leave my customer hanging. He mentioned maybe putting a primer on and then another solid color stain, but I don't know if that would be effective. So, I would just like to know what I can do to help this guy out because his deck is hideous. Thanks for the help in advance.

Behr acrylics are tough to get off but not impossible.I've removed Behr acrylics with a sodium stripper that i make myself.It does take stronger mixes and a lot of dwell time and multiple strips if needed.

It's always best to do a test spot when bidding strip jobs.

Try HD-80 or F-18 i've heard guys getting good results with both.

It's always possible to remove the stain but also depends how much the customer is willing to pay to remove the old Behr Cr@p.

I understand and applaud your effort to give a customer above and beyond service but one thing I have learned is don't create problems in business where none exist. If the customer is okay with a solid, then you can wash his deck, feather any chipped areas by sanding, apply an oil based primed and recoat with solid.

Stripping an acrylic solid requires very expensive chemicals and is extremely labor intensive. Measure the guy's floor and if he has spindles figure about $7 per s/f to strip and put down a semi. If you think he would be willing to pay that (and trust me, you won't be gouging at that price) go for it. When you get a chance, click the link below to see what you are in store for...

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/showthread.php?t=5021

Thanks for the help. I agree with you Ken, I think that is what I will do. I read your post that you linked to and that is simply amazing work. I hope that someday I will get to the point where you are, I know I will, but I'm definitely not ready as of now. So, I'm going to tell him that we will wash, apply a primer, and put down another solid color. I think he'll take it after I tell him how much it would cost otherwise. Again, thanks.