Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Raising the Bar

Today, I’m not writing about marketing or advertising, I’m not writing with tech tips or how-to’s. Upon occasion reflection lends valuable insight into where we are going, what we are doing, how we might get there, and how we can improve along the way. It shows us who we were, and who we do not want to be, as well as who we wish to become. Buried deep within that context is an understanding of what we can reasonably expect and what we can not change. Sometimes, keeping this in mind helps along the way.

I’ve done a lot of reading over the past years, and have listened to many conversations. I have heard many tales of hardship and of success. There’s a ladder we all climb, but we do so with hesitation and fear of having someone come along and push it over while we are on it. We are protective, and fearful of our competition. I can recall growing up and participating in sports of many kinds, some team oriented, some individual. In the end, we were taught that sportsmanship would flow into many areas of our lives, to respect the competition and to congratulate them. We were also taught to better ourselves and that the person who wins today may not win tomorrow. Betterment for all, was the message. Stretch. Grow. Expand. Shake the winner’s hand and work to win tomorrow.

Many contractors keep to themselves, never speaking up and absorbing all that is put before them while fearing the competition. There is no right or wrong in that, but I’ll ask these questions. Do you complain about the stigma attached to contractors? Do you complain that people stereotype you and treat you as less than they are? Do you work with others in the industry in an open manner for the betterment of all to change it, or do you leave that to others and complain about how it could be better if only they would do it differently? Do you share your ideas to better the industry, or keep them to yourself?

I want to challenge you all to open up and speak up. Share your ideas and your thoughts and experiences. There is an old saying that if you are not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem. In essence, if you sit back and complain but never speak up, it’s your own fault as well. Teamwork. It takes teamwork.

Visit any, or better yet, visit all of the BBS’s out there today, but don’t just read, POST. Ask questions. Share ideas. Brainstorm. Help out the new guy. There are many folks out there without the benefit of a college education, but it by no means is an indicator of their ability to do business. Everyone has something to offer. Everyone. Try helping someone who has a question you can answer.

Look at yourself, and the image you present to the customer. Do you want to go toe to toe with the toughest competition out there? Yes? Then pick yourself up by the bootstraps, and do it. Go back to may article on image improvement. Improving the industry means we all have to take a stand and be active participants in the growth and development of it. We all have to think, to speak out, to be honest, and to act accordingly. We have to get past our fear of being crushed by the competition and realize that there is work out there for us all.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.”