Sign in to follow this  
John T

Size of your trailer

I'm running into issues with my Box truck that I didn't put much thought into..Since at some jobs I have 3 people working there and if all goes well I plan on having this many if not more on alot of jobs in the future. So the isses I'm having with my box truck is that it can't hold anymore then two people unless I have a few sit in the box and that is a big safety issue that I don't want to cross. Because of this I may take everything out of this truck and sell the truck on Ebay.

So I may revert back to a trailer set-up being pulled by my Pickup truck that can seat up to 6 people. Or I may use my bucket truck to tow a trailer because I can put two seats in the back of that truck to sit 4 people total with two inside the truck.

Because I have alot of equipment that we use on a continuous bases and I use water tanks to go along with my equipment, I'm looking to purchase a large Enclosed Trailer that is 7'x18'

Questions:

1- What type trailer(Open/enclosed) do you have and is it the right size for you.

2-What would be the ideal size trailer to have??

Opinions appreciated.........

John I use a 8 x 20 trailer i have a tank 225 gal and a skid unit in it , a muilt ladder and 2 55 gal durms for soap and all of my wands and two reel off the back and still have alot of room . it is enclosed because we get alot of rain and some snow in the year. also you can get it decal was it is ads for your business , 20 ft long trailer my ad company put 10ft letteing on both sides.

John,

I am using a 7x12 enclosed wells cargo trailer. I have a 275 gallon tank, double stack Hannay reels, and a Landa mghp (i can't remember the new model) And I have a few 15-20 gallon drums with my chems in it. as well as all my brushes, wands, extra 3/4' filler hose, 50' of 3" fire hose, and some 5 gallon buckets of certain chems and empty ones for other stuff. and ladder rack on top.

It's a decent "starter" size, but I'm bulging at the seems. it's also great because it fits in a lot of driveways. but it doesn't enable me to carry a lot of water for truck washing. So I'm buying a box truck. And eventually I want to get a van to be my residential rig. I'll put a 100 gallon float tank in it, with my cold machine. But for now I'm going to be using the Box truck. Oh, the only draw back with the box truck fro me will be my stain work. I'll be using the box truck when I go staining because I'm selling my truck also. (gotta get rid of some debt).

I have pics of it on Steve's Web site from when I first put it together. It's a lot dirtier now!

What's up JohnT,

...Glad you are doing well. So you know, 18' is an odd size. Also, might as well step up to car-hauler width, 102" (8.5'). I've got one, pulls nice, lots of room.

Think about: If you get a trailer, you gotta pull it. Sounds silly, but do you want your guys driving around Manhattan pulling a trailer?? Wrong turns, etc., and you've got problems. Me and You are probably great backing/driving trailers, but others aren't, especially if they don't own it. For me, it works great, but I pull it to a job, and leave it for a month. You are moving every few hours.

Have you checked out the Fuso's and NPR (Izuzu) box trucks?? They make four door models, which is what I was considering for a future endeavor. Or one of those Chevy 4500's (4door)?

JohnT, in my opinion, for what you do, I'd get a big 4door truck (4500, 550, etc) and mount everything to a big flatbed. I know, the weather, but get covers, and consider it a cost. It's a lot of work to service things that are enclosed. ...and maybe get a van to follow to the jobs, to drop of items you don't want left in the back.

John,

I don't know if you have looked at any Hydrblaster trailers. You can build them in many different ways and add tons of items and different size tanks. They are really a top quality trailer and built to order. Also if you want any racks and storage built into them they do that as well. Take a look at their website www.hydroblaster.com and you can see some they have built. If you need more info I would be happy to help or I could find out who your local distributor is.

As far a trucks go I have a 16' GMC topkick that I use, it has been quite reliable and allows me to carry 1500 gallons of water. It only seats 3 though.

I have had a Mitsuibishi FUSO before and a HINO, both were good trucks and are available in crew cabs. Just dont overload them,they are expensive to repair.