Sign in to follow this  
mdmtexican

First Cedar Job

Question

OKay guys, i'll get some pictures up soon. But i just got my 1st cedar fence restore job. The fence has no previous sealer, just 3-5 yrs old and gray. I plan on washing with 6% bleach/bit of soap and PW with my 45 degree tip. I've cleaned and stripped CCA/ACQ decks and cleaned SPF fencing with bleach, had no problems with furring, any pointers for the Cedar:confused: Its gunna be stained RS med red (020) and the entire developmet (around 3500) homes is required by HOA to have RS med red on any exterior wood.

I want to do this one right and, hopefully the neighbors will see the transformation from gray to beautiful, and inquire about the contractor :D (me!!) Job is 1168 sqft (only the owners front fence towards road, and the inside of backyard, trying to get the other neighbors to do theirs)

Thanx for any advice guys

~ Texican Mike

9 answers to this question

Here is some pix of an 18 yr old deck with some old Behr on it. Funny things is, about 5 years ago, i was helping my stepdad put the Behr on this deck haha, if i would have known then what i know now....

This is my parents Deck, just wanted to get in a little practice.... and there was a little compensation.

Stripped and brightened, didn;t take much to get the old Behr off, and then resealed with Readyseal dark red (030)

Sorry the pics have alot of shade in them, i need to go back in the morning and get some better finished shots, and i put one more coat on 'er, that old wood reallly sucked up the oil

Tell me what you think guys, i really value ya'lls thoughts <--spoken like a true Texican.

post-2065-137772162453_thumb.jpg

post-2065-137772162458_thumb.jpg

post-2065-137772162463_thumb.jpg

and the dates on the camera are way off, , tried to black most of them out, i cleaned/stripped last weekend, stained wednesday eveening, and another coat last night, but didn't get any final pix of the second coat(s)...put 3 on the decking itself.

It appears to be good work but a photography lesson might be a good investment. :lgbouncesA friend of mine who does word restorations likes to use Sodium Percarbonate for stripping on Cedar. I am sure the pros here could provide more info.