Sign in to follow this  
bulletproof

Fuzzies

Question

I did my first deck the other day never stained before, completely greyed. Came out real nice. I used 2lbs house helper per 5. I mixed in about 4oz joy dishwashing liquid. The mix started foaming like crazy. In all my research I never read that you can't mix dishwashing liquid with a percarb or maybe it might have just been something in the joy. That first batch was totally ineffective. Had to mix another one without the joy this worked well. I have a 4gpm machine so I used a 4010 and 2510 to rinse I think this was about 600 plus psi. I got fuzzies throughout the deck. Wwhat causes this. Too much pressure maybe too close to the surface or something else what is the most likely candidate for being the cause. I am scheduled to stain this deck tomorow using deckscapes waterbourn transparent - natural. I want to use a soda keg sprayer to apply, anyone else using these, what should I look out for, any advice would be valuable

1 answer to this question

I did my first deck the other day never stained before, completely grayed.
This is the primary cause of the fuzzies. The deck was already grey and dry on the surface creating a problem that becomes evident with the cleaning. A little more pressure would have removed most of them but in the future you should keep this in mind that you will need to defur the deck after washing and also after stripping as well.

Defurring can be accomplished by using specifically designed 3M type pads on a buffer, for the rails you can use a green scrubby. Watch for slivers of wood which can be drawn up by the pad and stick into your skin.

Soda keg sprayers are great for spraying chems but I have not used them for spraying a sealer. Test your sprayers capability by filling and spraying the product back into the can. Determine if you are getting a good spray pattern in this case it should be a fan pattern. Cone patterns are acceptable too but if you don't get a definitive pattern then you may need to use a different sprayer. Devils advocate here just in case.

Rod!~