Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

Test Patch

Question

I feel like I keep asking dumb questions, but I'll never learn if I don't ask. When you go out and do a test patch to determine if it can be stripped, how do you do it? Do you guys just put some in a spray bottle and put it on, allow it to dwell, and hose it off? Or do I need to scrub it in and pressure wash it off? I know I need to choose an inconspicuous area, but beyond that I don't really know. I am going to test HD-80 and EFC-38 to see which one I can use to strip Wolman's F&P. I appreciate any responses, even though this is a dumb question.

Thanks,

5 answers to this question

Travis

Both EFC-38 and HD-80 will strip F&P. Apply your stripper to a small area (squirt bottle will work fine) and allow to dwell. After about 5 min dwell time, use a tongue depressor, popsicle stick or other wooden object to gently scratch the surface. When the existing finish has been emulsified you will be able to scratch it with gentle pressure exposing the bare wood beneath.

If you are not able to remove the finish after 5 minutes, wait another 5 min and try again. When you are able to easily scratch the finish away, note the time. If it is a standard single coat application of F&P, EFC-38 should work in about 15 min. HD-80 will start to work between 5 and 10 minutes.

Dumb actually means "without voice" or "unable to speak." You are neither.

Best of Luck!

Travis,

you should not need your pressure washer for a test patch. Apply stripper with a small bucket and brush allow dwell time then you should be able to see the coating soften and bubble if the stripper is working, then a light brush rinse and neutralize with a little oxalic acid.

I mix my stripper full strength in a spray bottle and apply to a spot on the deck, I reapply or keep wet with water if it's trying to dry, after 5-10 minutes I then scratch lightly with my fingernail. If I can easily scratch and expose bare wood I know I can strip the deck without going full strength. If I don't expose wood, I increase my dwell time and keep trying. After I've determined if it's strippable or not I then rinse the area with water. I always do a test on a vertical spot where the old sealer is in better shape as opposed to a horizontal.

Three bottles in little tray with equivalents to:

HD-80 at 3 oz per gallon (works 70% of the time in under 15 minutes)

" 6 oz per gallon

" 10 oz per gallon

MAB Paints gives me ten paint sticks every time I go in there so that is what I use to test.

I rarely use EFC-38 to strip.

Wow, thank you guys so much, I just posted that like 3 hours ago, and I already have this many replies. I can tell you one thing, I would not be going into this business without your help and without this board. Thanks again guys, you answered my question perfectly.