Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

Trailer Axles.....Torsion vs. Spring

Question

I know what torsion axles are and what spring axles are. My question is, are the torsion axles worth the extra money? Are they worth an extra $190 per axle? Just was curious if anyone had any knowledge on this.

4 answers to this question

I have one of each style trailer. I can only relate my observations.

The torsion axle seems to provide a smoother towing experience.

When the trailers are empty, the leaf spring axle tends to bounce more. Also, I notice the leaf springs squeak alot at low speeds.

If you plan to tow the trailer alot, I'd say the torsion axle is worth the $190.

It is also worthwhile to have trailer brakes installed, even on smaller trailers.

The trailer I am getting is a 16' tandem axle trailer. The cost for the torsion axles is $190 per axle. So that is $380. It will be loaded down most of the time. I am just wondering is the $380 worth it. There is 4 way brakes on this trailer. I have a 16' open trailer I use now and I have 4 way brakes on that also. I need to go to an enclosed to continue washing my cars through the winter.

Torsion is pretty strong. My brother has a 30 foot gooseneck trailor with two torsion axles on it. He pulls a 12000 pound backhoe and his bobcat on it with no problem. Before that he had one with springs on it, but it was a triple axle to do the same job! I know he likes the way it pulls and handles a lot better too. Just my two cents.

Robert