Sign in to follow this  
sarowe

Pump Question

If you are still getting a leak it is possible that one of the ceramic plungers is cracked. It is also possible that you have a pinched ring or packing from installation. I always install the packings and brass on the head and then put it on the pump, then I can be sure I don't pinch anything. Then I use a little grease or o ring lube to put it on the pump over the pistons. As far as installing the packings they make a tool for the installaton that makes it super easy and keeps you from nicking them with a screwdriver. It is a packing insertion kit and runs $19.95 and fits general pumps (not on my site yet).

All three seal sets were most of the way down into cylinders before I had to use bolts to get head on last half inch...thinkin and prayin they are fine..

The above troubleshooter by General is hardly readable but I can just barely make out some speak about a piston o ring being one of the possable problems causing such leak.

Apparently they are under the piston bolts?

Yes when you put on the ceramic pistons ther is an o ring and some plastic washers that go on the bolt and seal up the inside of the piston. If it wasn't leaking before and you didn't remove them I doubt it is the problem. Your best bet is to remove the head again and make sure you didn't pinch any seals.

Kevin

Man. Wish I could help you on this one. Sounds like you got it covered. Im going to be on the sidelines watching this thread continue and see what becomes of your pump and problem. Like reading a good book.

Good luck.

Steve

If you have your water bypassed to the tank,you will see if your unloader is bypassing water all the time. Low pressure means low volume. If you are losing water back to the tank, you are losing pressure there.

Paul has hit the nail on the head. Isolate your pump to see if your pump is the problem. Hose chatter is almost always the check valves. If you've had the pump for several years, and you have determined that the pump is the reason for the pressure loss, then I would replace the seals and check valves.

Often, you can purchase 3 kits that will have all the brass, seals, and orings. I would reccomend this for an aged pump.

You will probably find that your unloader is also sub par if you are having all these other problems.

Water in your pump crancase oil is a sure sign that your seals are bad. You will also need to inspect your plungers. A small thin pencil type of line is a crack. If you find this, replace also. Depending what pump, there is sometimes an oring on the plunger rod, or a plunger nut that has an oring and teflon seal that holds the plunger on. These can be the cause of water into the oil.

Where as you are circulating your bypass water, you are circulating at an increased temperature that will get hotter with each minute. After 5 minutes you can do damage to your pump and unloader.

Rout your bypass to the tank to prevent future damage.

Good luck with your repair.