Sign in to follow this  
douseahouse

sort of new at this...

Question

hey friends,

i'm a roof cleaner and a house washer. i recently washed a house using a mild mixture of bleach and jomax. i used it on the deck to remove the mildew but when it dried and i had also removed some of the finish. so, i had to remove all the stain (i used sodium percarb and a pressure washer) and then restained. the job came out pretty good (i didn't make a dime). now, the neighbors are asking me to look at their decks. i just got a call from a lady who said that her deck was never stained but treated regularly with a water sealant. she said that this year the deck is turning a dark color and the bottom of the deck (visible from below) is turning green. will i need to just clean this deck or will i need to strip it also? right now i feel as green as algae but i know you guys will walk me through this. right? ok, everyone that has an opinion i'd love to hear it. i also need to know what products i may need to invest into.

thanks in advance,

rando

1 answer to this question

Do a test spot in order to find out. Put some water on the wood to see if it repels it or beads up. If it does, there is sealer present that needs to be removed. The rail sections will probably exhibit this anyway.

Take a look in our vendors section and research their products. I could give you the answers here but they do not apply to all situations and so I am doing you a favor by asking you to take plenty of time to soak up some information. Once you have done that, you may still have questions but they will be more in the order of clarification and we would be better suited to answer them at this point.

This also keeps me from having to write a novel on wood restoration. ;)

Keep us posted.

Rod!~