Sign in to follow this  
H2O PRESSURE

Frozen Brick?????

Question

A builder has asked me to fix an area on a home that is being built. Above the garage doors, the brick (or is it just the mortar?) is lighter than it is elsewhere. He says the reason for this is that the brick froze. Whether it froze before it was laid, or not, is unknown to me. It happened last Winter, I assume, since it hasn't been cold since then.\

I'm trying to figure out how to post at least three of the pics I have, but who knows. I'm certainly no computer wizard, obviously.

3 answers to this question

[ATTACH]5591[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5593[/ATTACH]

Hopefully I've done that correctly. I just want to know what kind of feedback I can get about how to handle this, or if nothing can be done. It's not just the mortar that has a different color, but it definately INCLUDES the mortar. I THINK!

post-1785-137772165373_thumb.jpg

post-1785-137772165385_thumb.jpg

post-1785-137772165395_thumb.jpg

I've never seen this kind of problem myself, but what kind of work does the contractor believe you can do to this?

I'd get ahold of Jim Carroll here and see what he says. I'm guessing that some sealer or overlay might balace the colors somewhat, but that is really a WAG.

Maybe Celeste has an idea or two for you.

I'm willing to bet the cure is going to be expensive, I'll be curious to find out more on this one.:lgmoneyey

Keep us posted.

Some of that looks awfully sporadic to be weather related. I've seen mortar color shifts simply due to mixing. As for the brick color, we've also experienced the masons just screwing up and literally putting up the wrong brick or putting the wrong face outward. I'm guessing the brick has not been cleaned (but neater masons). If that's the case, all may even out when washed. There's a picture on our website where there is a very obvious line between and older lay and a newer one but the washing evened it out.

Celeste