Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

I can't reach!

Question

Hey everyone,

I've got a deck to do next week that is probably about 15-20 feet off the ground on top of a hill sloping down towards a pool. My question is; how does everyone else approach these kinds of decks? Can I wash the outside and poles from the ground, or do I need a ladder, or a wand extension? What does everyone suggest? Thanks for the replies.

8 answers to this question

You can approach it from the ground with an extendable wand (my choice). Some people lean over the railing and use the 1ft flexible lance. Just wear rain pants so you dont get soaked. You could also use a step ladder which I wouldnt normally recommend with a pressure washing gun due to safety but if you use a 48" lance and use only the first few steps you should be ok. I think the best way to become an expert is to have good equipment therefor i would invest in a wand like the corress extension wand or another sturdy aluminum extension wand.

I have one similar to a little giant and have used it like that also but it only gets me about 4 feet off the top of the slope due to one side only being extended half way or so. I hate pressure washing off ladders though because you need to move it a lot and its a little dangerous because we all end up trying to reach more than we should before moving it.

You can rent adjustable scaffolding - would allow for more lateral movement then ladders although you'd still likely need some longer lances. If you do opt for the ladders, I'd be tied off to the deck :)

Celeste

Sherwin Williams stores (once upon a time) had a wedge you could buy to place on a sloping hill to level an extension ladder. Maybe they still carry them.

Hey Travis,

Go to Home Depot and buy some ladder levelers. They attach on the sides of your extension ladder and extend up or down and they are very sturdy. I have them on a 32ft. er The one I used to use when I was washing houses without SH You could almost set your ladder on a cliff and feel safe with them (just kidding, but one leg will extend almost 2 ft. past the other one. I believe they are around 80.00 for the pair. Are you using Ready Seal (I don't see how with all the wet weather)

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

You should have a Coress-type extension wand in your arsenal anyway if those type decks are prevalent in your area. Mine extends to 24'. Most of my jobs include some sort of work off the ground.

What are you worried about spraying your chems or p/washing?

Are you having to strip it ?

You can just x-jet your chems if you are worried about that.

pics might help to