Sign in to follow this  
Anthony G

Synflex hose

Do any of you know if there is a synflex type hose made that will handle steam?

Where I work full time (surfactants chemical plant) has some products that setup in 3" piping and the only way to clean it out is to steam it. We currently have to setup a steam spud style setup to keep from building to much pressure but it takes a really long time to clean out as the heat is not being applied right to the problem.

I would love to be able to steam right against the product but wasnt sure about sending standard 3/8" on up to 200 ft runs thru the piping.

Thanks in advance

Anthony

At the Facility I work at we deal with this type of problem all the time. I need to know more about the situation. What type of pipe is it? Cast Iron? Steel? High Carbon Steel? Black Plastic? PVC? If you are having this problem more than once a year then you need to steam or heat trace the pipe which is not hard to do. Do you have Plant Steam? If so you need to tie into it and insulate and jacket the pipe and then regulate the steam so the temp is ok with the product and not too hot or cold. Do you have an Insulation Department or Steam Crew at your facility? Tell me more and I can help.

I forgot to mention a few things. Depending on what the products are that set up in the pipes you may not want to use steel braided hose if they are flammable because you could have a catastrophe on your hands. Some products cannot handle or be diluted too much with water. Some chemicals will react with rubber hose material. There are a lot of variables to consider especially if the product is flammable. Tell me more about the product and piping and I will help.

Most of the piping is stainless very little cast iron. Most lines are heat traced but every now and then you get somebody that sends the wrong products thru the non heat traced lines.

THanks.....this is just mainly for ooppss's.