Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Customers, just gotta vent.

Question

I have been dealing with an online customer that is making me lose my cool.

It started 2 weeks ago. She got her "value pack" order minus one item. Of course, a polite email was out of the question, she had to tell us that she expected it rectified ASAP. I apologized and sent a replacement. In what I would later realize was a mistake, I sent it Priority Mail in an attempt to shave a few days and a few bucks. At least for now, it has vanished...

FF 1 week, she emails to let me know that she has not received the replacement and will issue a chargeback unless it arrives at her location by Wednesday. This is Sunday PM. I apologize, commit to see what happened, and commit to ship a another replacement 2 day air. I remind her that issuing a chargeback for merchandise already received is illegal.

Today: I get a response telling me that unless she gets her light by Wednesday, I have left her no choice except to issue a chargeback. Furthermore she would have already sent back the merchandise if we had issued a return label (which she never asked for).

Arggg... Why are some people such unreasonable jerks who insist on trying to force their way through like like a bull in a china shop?!?

I told her that she could either return the merchandise or keep it and pay for it. I also told her that if she proceeded with the chargeback I would report it as CC fraud... If she were in my store, I would physically take my goods, shove her refund in her pocket, and show her the door. But she's not...

27 answers to this question

People get the 'nads' to say online what they want to say in person but never would. It is rude, yes but keeping it in perspective.. answer the question to yourself.. do you want them as a customer? My answer would be yes. You don't know what these people have going on in their lives. Maybe he/she just found out their child is ill, had a loved one pass away or got really bad service at a store that morning. I'm not trying to justify this person's perception but these types of input help us to become better retailers. He/she did you a favor by letting you know there is a problem on your website.

Do I want them as a customer? Of course. Do I have a choice? Given the frequency of such behavior it seems not. That's part of why I'm frustrated and ranting here. It seems that shoot first, ask questions later is becoming the new norm for netiquette and I don't like it.

FWIW, I do realize the value of criticism and did thank the customer for letting me know.

...What the h**l is with these people. Surely they would never behave this way in person...

The amount of an a**hole a person is, is directly proportional to the distance they are away from you at the time you discover this flaw.

:lgsideway