Sign in to follow this  
Rick Arrese

First residential PW job bid today

Question

Well here it goes: As I was finishing paintwork on a customer's vehicle at their home, the owner mentioned she needed her house PW'd. I took the opportunity and let her know that I was available to do that kind of work and that her house (very small old construction 1000 sq ft) would cost cash $150.00 with additional $50 - $60 cost for driveway and concrete deck in the back. She wants to check the price of another guy that will do it on barter $$$. (She was my barter customer for work on her car which by the way she was delighted with.) My only concern is that this is really old contruction post WWII single story ranch with a brick front, painted cinder block foundation and what I believe could be asbestos planks on the sides. These are long like hardy plank but much much wider almost twice as much. Also the windows are in pretty bad shape dried up wood frames with peeling paint (Lead risk???) Any suggestions, comments and concerns are welcome.

PS. Adrian, I may have to borry your SC. LOL

10 answers to this question

Well here it goes: As I was finishing paintwork on a customer's vehicle at their home, the owner mentioned she needed her house PW'd. I took the opportunity and let her know that I was available to do that kind of work and that her house (very small old construction 1000 sq ft) would cost cash $150.00 with additional $50 - $60 cost for driveway and concrete deck in the back. She wants to check the price of another guy that will do it on barter $$$. (She was my barter customer for work on her car which by the way she was delighted with.) My only concern is that this is really old contruction post WWII single story ranch with a brick front, painted cinder block foundation and what I believe could be asbestos planks on the sides. These are long like hardy plank but much much wider almost twice as much. Also the windows are in pretty bad shape dried up wood frames with peeling paint (Lead risk???) Any suggestions, comments and concerns are welcome.

PS. Adrian, I may have to borry your SC. LOL

sounds like a ghetto job, she prob. needs more than just a washing, prob. will need a paint job too, and shes looking for the cheepest guy. might wanna pass on that one....my 02

Should you decide to take it, here are some considerations....

Bleach solution and LOW pressure on the painted cinder blocks. Cinderblocks are porous and can have mold/mildew in the pores under the paint. Significant pressure can blast weakened paint off with no problem and you'll be stuck painting the mess. Similar consideration with whatever siding it is. If you don't have a hot water washer or good chemicals you'll probably end up needing to scrub the siding with an extendable brush.

Old windows = leaky windows when you direct the water stream at them. Use passive rinsing AT BEST (this means to hit the house above the windows with water and let it come down similar to the way rain does). You may also want to consider misting. You'll have to hand scrub with a brush and solution. Not fun if you suspect lead. If you see water running down the *inside* of the glass panes, STOP and reevaluate your situation.

I've done some older structures like this before and they are very easy money, primariy because the expectations aren't very high to begin with so the HO isn't looking for stellar results, just to have some green and dirt knocked loose. Make use of chemicals and use your "pressure" washer only as a means of delivering the chemicals quickly, not powerfully.

Thanks for the input guys. Its not a ghetto job but a gentrified neighbourhood, brand new HO doing improvements a little at a time. She just put in PT wood fence. Barter is Ok for the auto paint part of the business but I will not barter PW services. Ryan you are probably correct in your assumption that the HO just wants grime and green knocked out, I'm sure you know how bad some older areas in Atlanta are with all the pines, sweetgums, oaks and pecan trees.

G'day Rick

I do a lot of places with old timber window frames, and have decided it's better to be safe than sorry. So I tell the owners that the windows and doors will leak (around the frame and around the glass pane/putty). I prefer the owners to be home to wipe up leaks as they happen and then open windows to let frames dry, or, if they can't be home, then at least put old towels on inside window ledge. I've had no problems as owners all understand the joys of living in a home with character and history.