Sign in to follow this  
NeverEnoughToys

Connecting extensions

I haven't tried this, but I'm sure SOMEbody has at some point. So a couple of questions:

1) I don't see alot of people talking about using the 80" extensions. Looks like most poeple will get out the extend-a-coress :) instead. Any reason not to use the 80"?

2) If there's really not reason not to use the 80", then why wouldn't I just connect a pair of 80' extensions together (MNTP-MNTP connector) to get alot of reach without the weight of the telescoping.Sure, the bend might be 12" or so (that's a SWAG), but am I missing something here? I think it would defintely need to be stainless, just for strength alone, but I don't see a drawback (then again, I've never grabbed this snake by the tail either!)...

I used to keep a 12', a 6', and a 3' on the truck and QC'd them together whenever necessary (rare with an x-jet). The 12'er broke (aluminum), but I still use the 6+3 every so often. Works great, and much easier than a backbreaker wand. No need to thread it together. Put 1/4" QC's on all of them and mix and match as desired.

Make sure that the top lance is not bent at an angle, or it gets squirly. And if you drop it hard or impact a tree, etc. the lance will often break off at the threads.

I haven't tried this, but I'm sure SOMEbody has at some point. So a couple of questions:

1) I don't see alot of people talking about using the 80" extensions. Looks like most poeple will get out the extend-a-coress :) instead. Any reason not to use the 80"?

2) If there's really not reason not to use the 80", then why wouldn't I just connect a pair of 80' extensions together (MNTP-MNTP connector) to get alot of reach without the weight of the telescoping.Sure, the bend might be 12" or so (that's a SWAG), but am I missing something here? I think it would defintely need to be stainless, just for strength alone, but I don't see a drawback (then again, I've never grabbed this snake by the tail either!)...

Why not just spend some money on a 12ft and 18ft aluminium rods and plum them with QCs? That's what I've done.

On rare occasions I'll have to add a 4ft-er to it for a minute or two but if I'm needing serious length for prolonged periods of time then in comes the lifts.

Why not just spend some money on a 12ft and 18ft aluminium rods and plum them with QCs? That's what I've done.

On rare occasions I'll have to add a 4ft-er to it for a minute or two but if I'm needing serious length for prolonged periods of time then in comes the lifts.

I'm a xjetter, so I rarely use extensions. But there are instances (odd gable, windy day) that I need a little more length. In those cases, I find that a a 6 and a 3 get 95% of the stuff. Plus a couple of 6's travel much better than an 18'er .

I'm a xjetter, so I rarely use extensions. But there are instances (odd gable, windy day) that I need a little more length. In those cases, I find that a a 6 and a 3 get 95% of the stuff. Plus a couple of 6's travel much better than an 18'er .

I don't xjet anything and have never owned one. However, some of the homes around will require you to carry a couple of extra long extensions. In most cases it's the pool patio overhangs that are a good 16-20ft off the ground.

Important to note that I'll never connect two long extensions together. It'll always be a 12/18fter alone by themselves.

Point I'm trying to make is instead of connecting two or more small extensions why not just have one longer one sitting on the truck for those 1 in a million chances.

They're really inexpensive.

Important to note that I'll never connect two long extensions together. It'll always be a 12/18fter alone by themselves.

Point I'm trying to make is instead of connecting two or more small extensions why not just have one longer one sitting on the truck for those 1 in a million chances.

I'm curious why you would never connect two together. Is there a potential problem that I am not forseeing?

As for why I do it the way I do: It's not about cost (2x small is more expensive), it's about conveinence. The shorter lances store easier, and having a 3,6,9 combo gives me the option of 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, & 18ft with only 3 lances.

pldoolittle,

Have you ever connected a 12ft and 10ft pole together? Or larger?

it's not easy to handle that sway. Add to the equation windows and it's and accident waiting to happen.

I guess it depends on how much room you have to store things. I've got enough to fit some larger wands.

What happens when you need to reach 18+ feet?

I don't like standing on A frame ladders while pulling the trigger on a gun!

At 8gpms, and with a 7gpm tip at the end of your 3+6+9 combo all at once, what you got is a real nice bend. And potentially a bend that can snap in two places.

It has nothing to do with cost of wands. I dislike using more than 2 connections at a time.

Would you connect 300ft of high pressure hose consisting of 50ft sections? For odd jobs sure. But if you use 300ft on a daily basis it's foolish. Why not use a 200ft and a 100ft section?

Less connections, less hardware and less possibility of those hoses blowing at the crimps.

In the end it comes down to what you are comfortable with and exactly what you are doing.

We all have our ways I guess.