Sign in to follow this  
geobet1

Prostate Cancer

Question

Haven't posted on this site lately, but occassionally drop by to keep abreast. Didn't know where else to post this, or even if anyone would be interested, but here goes.

Although, at 59 I'm probably older than most of you - but, this advice is critical especially if you're in your 40's and older. GET YOUR PSA LEVEL CHECKED!! Its a simple blood test. At your ages (assuming that most of you are in your late 20's and 30's) you need to establish a base line for your PSA to monitor if it is increasing as you get older.

I just found out (Oct. 17) that I have Prostate Cancer. I just completed a CT and Bone Scan this week to see if it has spread. If not, then total prostate removal, if so - then all bets are off. Chemo and Radiation plus surgery. It doesn't just happen to us "old" guys. On another site I belong to, one guy in his late thirty's and another who just turned 40, just found out they also have Prostate Cancer. Running your pressure washing business is a real challenge - you don't even want to think about the challenge of fighting for your very life as well.

So please, not only for your own sake, but for the sake of your family - get yourself a PSA test ASAP! And do it EVERY year!!

Best Regards;

George

4 answers to this question

Hello George,

In 2001, I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer after a PSA test came back with a 14.5 count. After much research on the Internet, soul searching and consultation with my Doctor, I made a decision to have the seed implants.

On September 1st, I received an injection to shrink the Prostrate down to under a 4 and did 21 days of radiation to assure that it didn't spread. They did the proceedure in October, 2001 and since then my Psa has been O. (flat lined).

I go to the Doc every 6 months and as far as we are concerned, I'm cured. The worst part of the entire process was the biopsy which obviosly you have had. Everything else was a piece of cake.

I'm not trying to sway your decision, but talk to your Doctor. The success rate with with this 14 year old procedure is about 95%.

They did the operation in the morning and I went home that afternoon.

They put me under with some good s--t. I was back at work in 4 days.

If you would like to talk, Email me at rstrick1@verizon.net and send me your phone number.

Best of Luck,

Ron

George, you are on my shortlist of prayers right now. I thank you for bringing this to our attention, men too often don't see a doctor when they feel poorly. When they feel right , they even more rarely get the simple checkups needed.

I've been guilty myself, but my mother is a breast-cancer survivor, and I had a scare in my early twenties with testicular cancer, so I try to bite the bullet and fly right. It would be great if men would take a lesson from the Komen Breast Cancer people, and get some publicity out there about this disease.

On a lighter note, a few years ago a coworker of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer and got the "radioactive pills" implanted. He was terribly worried that he might irradiate his wife, or transfer the pill away to her.

It took a great deal of convincing from the doctor, but they are all alive and well 8 or 9 years later, so he must have been right!

Hang in there, and don't hesitate to let us know if or how we can help.

We have a local talk show host who had PS cancer last year, and was successfully treated with the radioactive seed.

Anyway, he says almost daily that his oncologist firmly believes if a man lives to be 100, his probability of getting prostate cancer is 100%. i.e. your probability is about 1%/year of age....

My grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Neither of them had annual check ups, so it was pretty well along when it was discovered. When it's that far along, the surgery and radiation therapy is not pretty.

Most doctors will tell you that most men will have it, especially as they get older. I've been getting annual checkups since I turned 40...and when I hit 50, I met Mr. Colonoscopy! Woo Hoo!

Get an annual physical or pay the price!