Sign in to follow this  
sflasealcoatinginc

oil stains

Question

33 answers to this question

Rob,

Thank you for the info. I will c heck it out and let everyone know what the results are... hopefully with pics too. The job is scheduled for 01-11-07 so I have time till then to do some more research and ordering.

Rod!~

We specialize in pavers/concrete and marble flatwork and the only two products that have worked for us is from a company called ADDIMENT (oil/tar remover) and recently tried the pour n restore which worked good.. However, I do not know Anyone no matter what they say that is able to remove the carbon shadow often left behind from deep penitrating oil thats been down for a while. Sometimes u get lucky though.

Cody

i used some "aluminum brightner 2" today to clean a patio with rust stains. it is actually hydroflouric acid and it worked reasonably well but still did not remove all the rust. this stuff scares me as it is very harmful to the human body. i'm interested in trying the oxalic acid but i have no idea where to buy or what to expect to pay. is there a general purpose concrete cleaner out there that will remove oil, grease, and rust stains?

thanks in advance and oh yeah, happy new year all,

rando

Hi Beth, Rod and others

The Rekrete is slow acting and needs to get into the pores of the concrete.

My suggestion is to do the usual - lots of degreaser and hot water under pressure, then wait a few days (or longer if it is cold) for more oil to rise from deep within the porous concrete and repeat with the degreaser and hot high pressure water. If lots of oil keeps coming out it may be worthwhile repeating a third time. Degreasers with citrus oil are good at getting the oil to float - especially if kept wet. There are also degreasers with oil eating enzymes & bacteria available, but with all these time, moisture and warmth are needed - which means fencing the area and keeping it wet for days/weeks.

When you are done with the degreaser and hot water, let it dry thoroughly and then apply the Rekrete. The Rekrete needs to get into the the concrete, so it is important to remove as much dirt (that the oil has stuck) as possible, this way more Rekrete can get into the concrete. The enzymes in the Rekrete will slowly break up the hydrocarbons, while the powder will (partially?) cover the deep down carbon/soot/dirt etc. You will need to reapply the Rekrete at least once more, after a week or so.

Clever move getting a waiver, as there are no miracle cures. Make sure you use the attorney wisely - they're not very good absorbents and they talk too much.

Dear Richard,

Let me know what do you mean by sealed interlock, can I presume it as interlocking precast cement paver. Please note that KLENZTONE or any other similar degreaser works well on unsealed substrate. Fine, if you are cleaning a sealed substrate, again you should confirm whether the sealer used is of imprignation type or coating type. Either way if oil stains are only on specific areas, the best thing is to use poultice made of some thinner like Acetone or Xylene mixed with fine Talk powder of 250 mesh, applying in paste form to a thickness of 5mm on stained area with an addtional extension of spreading the paste to more than 10% of stain & sealing thus poulticed area with thick plastic sheet for atleast 24 hours.

You can also use WIN chemicals sweeping compound or AKEMI RTU poultice for removing oil stains if the the stained area is in small pockets of the floor. Hope my experience will help & if you happened solve the problem with this info, please let me know your results.

All the best,

Suresh Kumar G

I have heard of the use of poultices but for removing paint and other similar coatings. I wanted to venture a guess as to why the use of Talc powder (presuming that is what your were talking about) in the mix but I will defer back to you for this.

(my guess is it is an absorbency medium)

Thank you in advance and welcome to TGS.

Rod!~

Rob,

Thank you for the info. I will c heck it out and let everyone know what the results are... hopefully with pics too. The job is scheduled for 01-11-07 so I have time till then to do some more research and ordering.

Rod!~

Hey Rod

Did ya'll ever do this job? If so how did it go?

Scott