Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

vinyl siding institute

Question

I just got a call to give an estimate for a vinyl house wash.The homeowner said the contractor who installed the siding said to not use sodium hypochlorite(bleach).I did a search and found this.Thought I'd share in case anybody runs into this problem.

http://www.vinylsiding.org/aboutsiding/cleanmain/cleaning/

10 answers to this question

if i use shc then i mix it 10:1 and add a nicely scented laundry detergent. if i use household bleach then i mix it 5:1 and also add the detergent. i've had wonderful results with this formula. i usually use my shurlo setup to pump the solution and then a low pressure rinse (usually using their garden hose hookup). be careful with a high pressure rinse because it is so easy to get underneath the vinyl siding if it's not properly installed. good luck all!

rando

That's a nice site and all but one big problem we have around here are spiders and the black crap (dots and smudges) they leave behind. The only thing I found that can remove it without damaging vinyl siding is bleach. I can dilute but very little and have to scrub the dickens out of it to get it off and even there I can't get everything off. Has anyone run into this problem before and what have you used.

Dan

This customer told me someone told him not to use bleach.I'm just trying to help back up that if used properly its okay.Thats the only reason for sharing this.windex on rust lol.get some citracleen Dan.

Guest John Sanford

The black dots are probably Artillery Fungus, do a search for it on the net.

It can be either Kory. If they come off with a good douse of Housewash mix and mild pressure then it is spider crap. If you need a stick of dynamite to get it off then it might be artillery fungus.