Sign in to follow this  
wayne

Sikkens on raised deck bottom

Question

I have successfully stripped the deck, rails etc.. of Sikkens stain. The customer also stained (with Sikkens) the underside of the deck 7-8 years ago. The stain is in good shape, but has water spots on it. The customer wants the stain covered. What would you guys recommend to cover the stain with, without stripping it? Would an acrylic latex work? oil based stain? What steps would you follow? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

2 answers to this question

I have successfully stripped the deck, rails etc.. of Sikkens stain. The customer also stained (with Sikkens) the underside of the deck 7-8 years ago. The stain is in good shape, but has water spots on it. The customer wants the stain covered. What would you guys recommend to cover the stain with, without stripping it? Would an acrylic latex work? oil based stain? What steps would you follow? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

Are they wanting a solid installed?

Cleaning it with a weaker stripping solution and resealing with the same product would work best and be more cost effective. Otherwise, in order to get any longevity out of a product you put over Sikkens you would need to prime it first then cover it with your customers alternate product choice.

Sikkens is an alkyd oil based product so you can apply a latex over it but not an acrylic without priming. Cabot's Problem Solver makes a quick drying primer for this type of situation.

Let me know if I covered the basics of your question and if you need more info, let your fingers do the talking. :lgkeyboar

Rod!~