Sign in to follow this  
blackjack21

another sealerguy after me

Question

Anyone ever heard of Adsil? I have a guy trying to get me to use his sealer that he claims will resist mold,algae for 10 years. He used to work for Adsil (www.adsil.com) and claims the stuff was developed for the tiles on the space shuttle. He claims to have sealed the bathrooms at the football stadium here in Jax and a litany of other big clients. If you thought other stuff was expensive, put your seatbelt on. This Sh!@# costs $160 for ONE gallon.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would buy it. I let him tag along w me a couple of days and he sold 3 jobs, one of them a $10,000 roof/paver job. Now i'm backing him off in fear that he will sell more jobs and this stuff will be another hoax. Anyone ever heard of SMT technologies or Adsil? This stuff has got to be bs right?

blackjack21

14 answers to this question

Celeste,James

Thanks for the replies. Can you elaborate please. Can anyone out there tell me anything about the validity of sealers? I have talked to everyone including 2 chemists and a biologist. No one can give me a straight answer.

I had a guy from reliance tell me that 2 years, maybe 2 and 1/2 is what you can expect from any sealer. If thats the case then whats the point. Might as well just clean it.

One chemist that I talked to told me that it's possible that the technology has advanced to that point. It's "possible".

HMSGA,

This guy seals tile roofs, concrete, tile floors, pavers, ac units and all kinds a stuff.

I know, but I thought you were wanting to seal something specific, maybe I didn't read the post closely enough.

You are just looking into this for additional service and income, right?

I also have a coatings business, and there are a couple of these coatings that are VERY good products, some others are total crap, and most fall somewhere in between.

I would not recommend these types of coatings for concrete and Masonry. In my opinion you will not find anything better than what V-Seal (Tara Distribution Group) already has to offer.

There are maybe 20 of these coatings I can name if I thought for long enough, but I like the one I use best of any of them. It is not even available to the general public, only to contractors they have approved and know will prep and apply and use it properly. They are more interested in the integrity of their product than they are in making tons of $$ selling ,ass amounts of products to the general public (that may not be applied properly, but it will reflect on the material, and not on the person who applied it because the d-i-y'er didn't know what he was doing).

Many people will tell you these coatings are no good, and that they cannot last or do what they claim, mostly because THEY haven't ever heard of them. That is NOT the case!

I am not even going to mention any coating I use here until I get permission from Beth or Rod. You will have to go to my website to find out more about it.

I haven't heard that much about this one, but give me a few days to check it out and I will be happy to let you know what I find out - IF you want for me to.

Things to ask the guy you are dealing with -

How many steps does it take to use the product? Most of these, to do it right, are really labor intensive, and most of the time/labor comes in the prep process, like 3 hours to prep, 5 minutes to actually apply coaring, for example. If you do not do the prep properly you may not get the results you hope for. Please keep that in mind up front. The prep can be VERY time consuming, the application is rather easy.

You want a coating with a two-step process, step one is to clean/prep,

and step two is to apply the coating.

When applying to metal you will think youself an auto detailer, sometimes

using "Q-tips" or even fingertips to clean oxidization from little nooks and crannies in the metal surface.

You have already read comments where people gripe about the cost as some of these run up towards $200 a gallon, but you get 1,000 - 1,200 sq. ft. coverage per gallon. It applies very thin, so your costs to use are not that high at all. Expensive to buy, but not so expensive to use...

Still, at that price I would not use it on something so porous as concrete or masonry unless you seal with something else first...

How long does it last on average (normally will last longer on metals, and will last for a shorter time on fiberglass.)

What is their guarantee to you, or will they just blame you if applied coating

does not last as long as you warranty it for? How can you warranty a product to a customer if Co. will not back you?

Is the same material applied to all surfaces (metal, wood, cementitious) like are they trying to be all things to all people, or is it different but similiar formulations?

Do they offer cleaners and other material to use in the prep process designed to be used with the coating? (like in a "system")

Do they offer materials to clean and maintain a coated surface after coating has been applied?

How is it applied?

How is it cleaned and maintained?

Can it be removed of one chooses to do so?

What is the "flashpoint" of the material? I know of one offered by another online distrbutor that is a more than two step process, then on top of that it has a flashpoint of under 120' F. That puts it into the hazardous material category, both to ship and to even handle.

NOTE: you will find this to be a "niche" market. You will drive all over seeing potential uses for this material. It is really neat stuff, any you will get many people who see it and say "nice" when you demo it, but fewer will actually spend the bucks$ to have you do it.

There is a trick to marketing this type of material...

Hope this helps somewhat...

Good Luck!

Patrick

I have a few brochers from the gentleman u speak of.... When i was a sales rep for a paver manufacture here in south florida. Here is the only prob i see that u may want to think about... Like HMSGA you can get alot out of one gallon spefically when spraying 1000+ squar feet is i think a BIT over i would say more like 500 sq ft is what i get from a 1 gall. But, if i tell a customer that with THIS sealer i guarentee your not going to get mold or mildew for up to 10 years, believe me people remember. The coatings in my opinion not act in the same way on a porous material such as concrete or pavers. Mold WILL find its way onto anything that is slightly damp with little light and the little cracks in pavers and concrete will give i\mold that enviroment regardless of what you use. You can check out my web site for more info or if you have any question..www.sflasealcoating.com All we do is Sealcoat. my .02

COdy

Patrick

I am interested in extra income if this stuff does what he says it will. I had a couple of $1500 roof cleaning jobs that I let him tag along on and they turned into $15,000 jobs (literally). He sealed the roof, pavers, pool decks.

He offers a ten year warrantee on the roof. Anyway, once it's on there it aint comin off unless it's sandblasted (supposedly).

He mixes two products together, they get real hot, then he adds a third and applies it with a paint sprayer or bug sprayer.

The flashpoint is 46.9 F. The Hazard Technical Name is: Methoxysilane/methanol.

I believe there is two different products; one of them is more shiny giving it that wet look. I think the same stuff thats applied to ac units is also applied to concrete.

It's the $200 a gallon stuff. Also, they don't sell to the general public. You have to be a licensed applicater.

I really appreciate your input on this. I posted a few things on a few sites a few times regarding sealers and got minimal input.

I'd like to check out your site too.

Blackjack

I have a few brochers from the gentleman u speak of.... When i was a sales rep for a paver manufacture here in south florida. Here is the only prob i see that u may want to think about... Like HMSGA you can get alot out of one gallon spefically when spraying 1000+ squar feet is i think a BIT over i would say more like 500 sq ft is what i get from a 1 gall. But, if i tell a customer that with THIS sealer i guarentee your not going to get mold or mildew for up to 10 years, believe me people remember. The coatings in my opinion not act in the same way on a porous material such as concrete or pavers. Mold WILL find its way onto anything that is slightly damp with little light and the little cracks in pavers and concrete will give i\mold that enviroment regardless of what you use. You can check out my web site for more info or if you have any question..www.sflasealcoating.com All we do is Sealcoat. my .02

COdy

Cody,

I agree. Algae grows on anything pretty much. His claim is that the sealer fills the pours. He says that any algae that grows, say on a tile roof, will be washed off with rain.

I will be in Boca towards Christmas. I'd love to hook up and check out your operatrion. I am definately interested in learning more about coatings. Thanks for the reply. Give me a call.

Blackjack

904-994-0045

No email yet bro. Gotta go do Walmart. I'll check tommorrow. Thx again. My email is: ktkovar@hotmail.com

Blackjack

I already sent one through the "TGS" email message process. Must be lost somewhere, and doesn't give me option to resend it.

Won't even try sending an email that way again...

Will re-type and send you another one now that I have your email address.

NO prob.. any time.... just hit me an email when your in the area

Cody,

I agree. Algae grows on anything pretty much. His claim is that the sealer fills the pours. He says that any algae that grows, say on a tile roof, will be washed off with rain.

I will be in Boca towards Christmas. I'd love to hook up and check out your operatrion. I am definately interested in learning more about coatings. Thanks for the reply. Give me a call.

Blackjack

904-994-0045