Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Benifits of Hotwater

Question

5 answers to this question

Hot water raises the grain and is not necessary. The exception I used along time ago though is this; about 10 years ago I put CWF on a deck and when the customer came home was having an absolute fit about the tone(that he had already agreed to). When stripping it in cool temps. it wasn't coming off real well(the next day). For kicks, I turned on the hot water and with the stripper made a difference in removing the fresh sealer. This was my opinion at the time and the ONLY time I have used hot water on a deck. The same situation today and the product I use, I wouldn't even consider hot water.

There is no benefit to using hot water on wood. It raises the grain and causes the wod to swell a lot more then cold water. It also causes the wood to fur more then cold water. So, if you like to sand use hot water. Cold water and good chemicals are your best bet.

I use hot water sometimes 125 max when I do maint. I do yearly maint.. Because the wood has already been treated with oil the dirt and mildew are on the surface. The hot water breaks it up with very little pressure.

Ive found that when stripping or cleaning a deck I always use cold water to clean. I do however apply my stripper via downstream injection on the surface hot. It seems to activate the ingredients much faster and dwell time is actually diminished. This is a chemical I use, not everyone. I don't know if your chems are strong enough to be downstreamed at around 20% but mine is a very" hot " caustic from a powerwashing supplier in my area.